The Wisconsin Restaurant Association will honor a Wauwatosa teacher and a local chef for their contribution to education to foodservice education.
Wauwatosa East High School family and consumer education teacher Barb Bruesewitz has been named the High School Educator recipient for the 2011 Salute to Excellence Award. She instructs students in the ProStart curriculum, a two-year college preparatory course designed to teach high school students the skills needed for a career in the restaurant and foodservice industry. Annually, students participate in state culinary competitions during the Wisconsin Restaurant Expo.
Jason Tofte, executive chef at Eddie Martini's, was chosen at the ProStart Mentor of the Year. He's worked with upperclassmen as part of Wauwatosa East's culinary arts program on culinary techniques, knife skills, sanitation and time management, and he has coached the team before the expo competitions.
The Salute to Excellence awards will be presented Oct. 9 at the Heidel House Resort in Green Lake.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Taste of the Town: Eddie Martini's remains a classic stop
- Wauwatosa businesses recognized for employing people with disabilities
- Neighbors continue combating Wauwatosa Woman's Club parking proposal
- Wauwatosa's Center Street, lined with schools, could see sidewalks, bike lanes
- Wauwatosa negotiating financial aid for Underwood apartments
- Weekly Planner: Oct. 23
- Tosa East Players perform play-within-a-play in 'Curtains'
- What to expect as Wauwautosa YMCA changes hands
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Oct. 23