A semitrailer that was stolen from Wauwatosa a few weeks ago turned up in Michigan on Sunday, leading police to believe it's the latest work of a theft ring.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A 53-foot trailer filled with $100,000 in antifreeze and windshield washer fluid products went missing from the former Total Logistics Control lot, 11400 W. Burleigh St., between Aug. 19 and Aug. 22.
On Sunday, the Michigan State Police recovered the semitrailer - albeit emptied - at a rest stop along Interstate 275. It had been attached to a tractor stolen from West Allis.
Milwaukee police have been investigating other trailer thefts since early this year. A group of people have been stealing loaded semis in the Milwaukee area, clearing out the contents then abandoning them in Michigan.
In most cases, thieves open trailers until they find one filled with items that can easily be sold off, such as food, beer or clothing, a detective said. Then they pull a rig up to the trailer and haul it off.
Detectives had tracked a suspect to the Burleigh Street location Aug. 21. Security bands had been cut off at least seven semitrailers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Brief: Three aquatic parks, including Hoyt Pool, to stay open through Monday
- 88-year-old passenger dies after three-car crash in Tosa
- Police say train accident was 'apparent suicide' by Oak Creek man
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking allowed on both sides of Menomonee River Parkway?
- New associate principals at Wauwatosa East High School come from Milwaukee, Waukesha
- Tajikistan visit expands outlook on food sources and heritage for Wauwatosa West students
- New school year for the Wauwatosa School District brings new standards, evaluations and projects
- Ronald McDonald House in Wauwatosa to double number of families it serves
- Germantown district pursues personalized learning options