A man dressed like a law-enforcement agent was arrested for violating bail after he was seen carrying weapons at McDonald's in East Tosa last week.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
A 22-year-old Milwaukee man was seen walking with a group of people on North Avenue and openly carrying a handgun on his waist at 1:36 p.m. Aug. 16. When officers arrived, the man had entered McDonald's, 6631 W. North Ave.
Officers noted he was dressed like "some sort of law enforcement agent" with mirrored sunglasses; black, military-uniform-style pants; distinctive vest meant to look bullet-proof; and a holster on a duty belt like those worn by police.
A handgun was sticking out of the holster, but when an officer tried to remove the magazine, he found certain controls weren't located where they should be. The man told an officer it was a BB gun. He also had canisters of tear gas and pepper spray, two sets of handcuffs, a small walkie-talkie and a gold badge with the word "security" on it.
The man called himself an "unofficial security officer" who gets paid cash for protecting gas stations and other businesses. The gun and spray are meant to intimidate people, he told police.
Officers determined he not only lacked a guard license but he had two warrants for bail-jumping following a felony in Dane County. He's prohibited from possessing dangerous weapons as a condition of the bail. Tosa police arrested him on another count of bail-jumping.
The district attorney has decided to hold off on any further charges until September to give Dane County prosecutors an opportunity to act on the bail-jumping charges in their jurisdiction.
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (2)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?