A man dressed like a law-enforcement agent was arrested for violating bail after he was seen carrying weapons at McDonald's in East Tosa last week.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
A 22-year-old Milwaukee man was seen walking with a group of people on North Avenue and openly carrying a handgun on his waist at 1:36 p.m. Aug. 16. When officers arrived, the man had entered McDonald's, 6631 W. North Ave.
Officers noted he was dressed like "some sort of law enforcement agent" with mirrored sunglasses; black, military-uniform-style pants; distinctive vest meant to look bullet-proof; and a holster on a duty belt like those worn by police.
A handgun was sticking out of the holster, but when an officer tried to remove the magazine, he found certain controls weren't located where they should be. The man told an officer it was a BB gun. He also had canisters of tear gas and pepper spray, two sets of handcuffs, a small walkie-talkie and a gold badge with the word "security" on it.
The man called himself an "unofficial security officer" who gets paid cash for protecting gas stations and other businesses. The gun and spray are meant to intimidate people, he told police.
Officers determined he not only lacked a guard license but he had two warrants for bail-jumping following a felony in Dane County. He's prohibited from possessing dangerous weapons as a condition of the bail. Tosa police arrested him on another count of bail-jumping.
The district attorney has decided to hold off on any further charges until September to give Dane County prosecutors an opportunity to act on the bail-jumping charges in their jurisdiction.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Foreign officials take inspiration from Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Wauwatosa council considers resolution opposing UW cuts
- Mount Mary students spruce up Wauwatosa businesses
- Wauwatosa approves athletic field renovation with increased costs
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 12-18
- Wisconsin Lutheran College gains Wauwatosa approval for parking structure, promises to sell houses
- Slinger man charged for posting nude Snapchat photo of Wauwatosa student (2)
- Wauwatosa entreprenuer crowdfunding ice cube dog treats (8)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: April 23
- Wauwatosa fire chief addresses threat of oil tanker derailment (1)