Jamie O'Donoghue would like you to know that despite its name, O'Donoghue's Irish Pub is more than a bar.
Driving by the business at 13225 Watertown Plank Road in Elm Grove, you might be fooled into thinking that it's merely a well-kept drinking establishment. It is that, but O'Donoghue sees it as so much more.
"This is a community center for everyone in Tosa, Elm Grove and Brookfield," said O'Donoghue. "The Irish community meets here, as do so many other groups. This is a place where people can come and meet people they've never met before."
Walking into O'Donoghue's, you'll notice a horseshoe-shaped bar, which promotes a lot of camaraderie between patrons. You'll also find a friendly, welcoming staff that makes everyone from kids to parents to grandparents feel at home, and plenty of seating away from the bar. There are banquet and party rooms for special events.
But O'Donoghue's brightest spot is its menu, which Jamie O'Donoghue says keeps people coming back. Some of the signature dishes include Black Angus chuck burgers ($7.95), 10-inch chicken, steak, shrimp or Reuben quesadillas ($10.95 to $13.95) and the Irish Reuben sandwich ($8.95). Also popular are the Friday fish fry featuring cod, perch or shrimp ($11.95 to $14.95) and the four-piece broasted chicken dinner ($10.95).
O'Donoghue's features live music several days a week. There is Irish step dancing on Wednesdays, Irish jam sessions on Sundays and live bands on Fridays. On Thursdays, there is a 16-piece jazz band called The Super Band that attracts a large following.
As someone who has been in the restaurant/bar business for many years and whose parents were in the business for 30 years, Jamie O'Donoghue understands two key components to his success: good employees and loyal customers.
"I'm very fortunate to have a great staff and great repeat customers. People are surprised at how good the food is."
O'Donoghue's is a little challenging to get to these days, thanks to construction on Watertown Plank Road, so the owner recommends following detour signs. The road construction should be completed this fall.
NAME: O'Donoghue's Irish Pub
ADDRESS: 13225 Watertown Plank Road, Elm Grove
PHONE: (262) 641-2730
FARE: American/pub food
HOURS: 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Sunday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. Friday and Saturday
PRICE RANGE: $6.95 to $14.95 (approximate)
RESERVATIONS: for parties of 8 or more
HANDICAPPED ACCESSIBLE: yes
LOOKING TO 'GRAB A BITE'?
"Grab a Bite" is an informal look at the food scene in the Wauwatosa, Brookfield and Elm Grove area by freelance writer Karen Waldkirch. Whether you're looking for a place for a date night or a casual spot for lunch, Waldkirch will be out and about scouting eateries for you. If you have a suggestion for a column, e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Red Dot aims to duplicate East Side success in Wauwatosa
- There's No Place Like Hom Woodfired Grill
- Mo's Irish Pub: A lively Irish American neighborhood eatery
- Sluggo's Sports Pub & Grill: Back in business on Burleigh
- Tall Guy and a Grill: Taking backyard BBQ to new heights
- Cocina DeLeon: Old-world gourmet Mexican you make at home
- Burke's Irish Castle carries on a local legacy
- Albanese's Roadhouse serves up generations of Italian blessings
- BelAir Cantina: A breezy, Cali-Mex casual eatery
- Sherbrooke offers a bit of Canada in Tosa, eh
- Colonel Hart's: A true neighborhood hangout
- Ted's: It's Cheers without the beers
- Penelope's: A labor of love in heart of Elm Grove
- Drink in a bit of island life at Jimmy's Island Grill
- North Avenue Grill Same name, new owner
- Highlands Café: Tosa natives expand restaurant
- Café Hollander: Upscale and Belgian-themed
- Jose's Blue Sombrero: Tableside fun with a Mexican flair
- Balistreri's secret is in the staff and the recipes
- Slim McGinn's West a touch of Irish hospitality in Brookfield