Wauwatosa-based Wisconsin Hospitality Group, which owns 38 Applebee's and 82 Pizza Hut restaurants throughout Wisconsin, has been named a Wisconsin finalist for the National Restaurant Association Restaurant Neighbor Award.
Wisconsin Hospitality Group represents the state in the Large Business/National Chain category for its efforts helping several causes that have greatly impacted its employees.
WHG Applebee's raised more than $926,000 for Children's Hospital of Wisconsin through walkathons, brat fries, disc golf events and car washes. The hospital has used the money to purchase hospital equipment and fund social programs.
WHG Applebee's also served more than 21,000 free meals to active and veteran military personnel on Veteran's Day last year. It also initiated an Honor Flight program that raised money to send World War II veterans to Washington, D.C., so they might see the war memorial there.
The Applebee's restaurants held a Teacher's Day free meal promotion honoring instructors for their dedication to education, a blood drive and a holiday gift drive for those in need.
The Pizza Hut stores focused on Camp Heartland, a camp for children with HIV/AIDS by donating more than $645,000 since 2001.
- Name revealed of new female giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- State Street road work may be the biggest headache this year in Wauwatosa (2)
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa law enforcement honors fallen officers during national bike tour (1)
- Wauwatosa alderman calls 1979 parking ordinance 'nitpicky,' looks for change (12)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: May 26
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 26
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Tosa school libraries gear up for fall introduction of 'makerspaces'
- Tosa West's We the People team reflects on nationals, yearly successes