Wauwatosa-based Wisconsin Hospitality Group, which owns 38 Applebee's and 82 Pizza Hut restaurants throughout Wisconsin, has been named a Wisconsin finalist for the National Restaurant Association Restaurant Neighbor Award.
Wisconsin Hospitality Group represents the state in the Large Business/National Chain category for its efforts helping several causes that have greatly impacted its employees.
WHG Applebee's raised more than $926,000 for Children's Hospital of Wisconsin through walkathons, brat fries, disc golf events and car washes. The hospital has used the money to purchase hospital equipment and fund social programs.
WHG Applebee's also served more than 21,000 free meals to active and veteran military personnel on Veteran's Day last year. It also initiated an Honor Flight program that raised money to send World War II veterans to Washington, D.C., so they might see the war memorial there.
The Applebee's restaurants held a Teacher's Day free meal promotion honoring instructors for their dedication to education, a blood drive and a holiday gift drive for those in need.
The Pizza Hut stores focused on Camp Heartland, a camp for children with HIV/AIDS by donating more than $645,000 since 2001.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Children's theater presents free performance of "The Frog Prince" tomorrow night
- Future Wauwatosa high school graduates face new science requirements
- Wauwatosa's Night Out celebrates 20th anniversary Aug. 5
- Wauwatosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- State Fair highlights Wauwatosa businesses, crafts
- Ask Now: Do police officers still give out baseball cards?
- Wauwatosa's Hawaiian specialty store crowdfunds commercial kitchen
- Wisconsin's only texting-while-driving simulator, demonstrated in Wauwatosa, sobers distracted drive
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 31
- Biz Buzz: July 31