Tosa Wine & Spirits owners Sukhlal Gill and Amandip Singh would like to add a lounge-style bar area to the liquor store, but the idea failed to gain Plan Commission support Monday.
That doesn't mean the idea is dead, however. The matter now moves to the Community Development Committee for review, possibly Sept. 6.
Plan Commission officials recommended, on a 3-2 vote, that the city deny the conditional-use request by Tosa Wine & Spirits, 11747 W. North Ave.
Mayor Jill Didier, Alderman Don Birschel and Commissioner John Albert supported the recommendation for denial, while commissioners Gloria Stearns and Chris Jackson voted against it.
In order for Tosa Wine & Spirits to sell alcohol for consumption on site, its Class A liquor license needs to be replaced with a Class B or tavern license. The major concern was that granting such a license likely would limit the city's control over the establishment's hours.
Although Tosa Wine & Spirits proposes closing the lounge area and liquor store by 9 p.m. each day, a state tavern license would allow the owners to legally keep it open until 2 a.m., and as late as 2:30 a.m. on Saturday nights.
Birschel cited that concern as the major grounds for not supporting the request, along with the use's incompatibility with the surrounding residential neighborhood.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Four-story apartment building proposed for Hall Automotive site
- Little Read Book in Wauwatosa has author signing Sunday
- Wauwatosa police say train death was accidental
- Wauwatosa School District to tighten security with added cameras, changed school entrances
- Wauwatosa Senior Center plans November events
- Biz Buz:: New brew at Ray's
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa School Board approves 1.43 percent levy reduction
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Oct. 30
- Wauwatosa committee rejects Woman's Club parking proposal