A 31-year-old mom from Wauwatosa was arrested on allegations of child neglect after she left her daughter in a stroller in one of the city's busiest streets last week.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A driver had to slam on the brakes at 99th Street and North Avenue when she saw a stroller with a baby in it in the middle of North Avenue at 1:16 p.m. July 12. She saw a woman on the sidewalk as she called 911.
When police arrived, the mother was pushing the stroller down the sidewalk, walking with a male friend. She said she had left the stroller next to the curb while she looked for her cell phone in the grass.
Officers noticed she was staggering and recalled a contact with her about a month earlier during which she also seemed impaired. At the time, the baby's grandmother said the mother and her son used drugs.
The mother was wanted on three warrants for theft and driving violations. Police reported the incident to Child Protective Services.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Authorities release name of 14-year-old drowning victim in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Biz Buzz: July 24, 2014
- Business Notes: July 24, 2014
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa police link car thefts to those in Milwaukee County
- Hart Park Senior Center looks for new operator
- Former Wauwatosa priest appears in court after several missed appearances
- News and Notes: July 24, 2014 issue
- In brief: July 24, 2014
- Numbers peak for Wauwatosa summer school enrollment, programs