The temperature isn't the only thing bringing the heat. This weekend, Tosa residents can burn some energy in a new charity run and taste some spicy chili during East Tosa's Chili'n on the Avenue.
The Chili Charity Run/Walk is a new addition for the event's second year. The 3-mile run/walk will raise money for Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Wisconsin, which is located in Wauwatosa.
The run steps off at 8 a.m. Saturday. Registration will be accepted at a tent between 69th and 70th streets the morning of the run. The registration fee is $20 per person or $60 for a family of four or more.
A marketplace, featuring foods from local businesses and children's activities, will be located between 68th and 71st streets and will open at 9 a.m. Live music by Semi-Twang, Greg Koch and Meaghan Owens starts at 11 a.m.
The Chili Cook Off - with more than 15 cooks competing for bragging rights - is the centerpiece of the street party. Contestants will prepare their chili recipes on site, and attendees can sample chili and salsa for $1.
Additional chili cooks can still register the morning of the event, between 8 and 9 a.m., for $25. There are three competition categories: nationally sanctioned chili cook-off entries, open chili for everyone and salsa.
Money raised from the cook-off and other Chili'n activities will be used toward development efforts on North Avenue in East Tosa.
For information, go to easttosa.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Children's theater presents free performance of "The Frog Prince" tomorrow night
- Future Wauwatosa high school graduates face new science requirements
- Wauwatosa's Night Out celebrates 20th anniversary Aug. 5
- Wauwatosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- State Fair highlights Wauwatosa businesses, crafts
- Ask Now: Do police officers still give out baseball cards?
- Wauwatosa's Hawaiian specialty store crowdfunds commercial kitchen
- Wisconsin's only texting-while-driving simulator, demonstrated in Wauwatosa, sobers distracted drive
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 31
- Biz Buzz: July 31