The temperature isn't the only thing bringing the heat. This weekend, Tosa residents can burn some energy in a new charity run and taste some spicy chili during East Tosa's Chili'n on the Avenue.
The Chili Charity Run/Walk is a new addition for the event's second year. The 3-mile run/walk will raise money for Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Wisconsin, which is located in Wauwatosa.
The run steps off at 8 a.m. Saturday. Registration will be accepted at a tent between 69th and 70th streets the morning of the run. The registration fee is $20 per person or $60 for a family of four or more.
A marketplace, featuring foods from local businesses and children's activities, will be located between 68th and 71st streets and will open at 9 a.m. Live music by Semi-Twang, Greg Koch and Meaghan Owens starts at 11 a.m.
The Chili Cook Off - with more than 15 cooks competing for bragging rights - is the centerpiece of the street party. Contestants will prepare their chili recipes on site, and attendees can sample chili and salsa for $1.
Additional chili cooks can still register the morning of the event, between 8 and 9 a.m., for $25. There are three competition categories: nationally sanctioned chili cook-off entries, open chili for everyone and salsa.
Money raised from the cook-off and other Chili'n activities will be used toward development efforts on North Avenue in East Tosa.
For information, go to easttosa.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Brief: Three aquatic parks, including Hoyt Pool, to stay open through Monday
- 88-year-old passenger dies after three-car crash in Tosa
- Police say train accident was 'apparent suicide' by Oak Creek man
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking allowed on both sides of Menomonee River Parkway?
- New associate principals at Wauwatosa East High School come from Milwaukee, Waukesha
- Tajikistan visit expands outlook on food sources and heritage for Wauwatosa West students
- New school year for the Wauwatosa School District brings new standards, evaluations and projects
- Ronald McDonald House in Wauwatosa to double number of families it serves
- Germantown district pursues personalized learning options