The Wauwatosa School Board on Monday will vote on a budget that calls for $81.3 million in spending for 2011-12, a decrease of about $8 million from 2010-11.
Much of the savings will come with a salary freeze for all employees, who also will participate in a new high-deductible health care plan and contribute more toward their retirements.
The salary freeze will offset some of the cuts the district will see in revenue authority as part of the state's 2011-13 biennial budget. Wauwatosa expects to lose about $3.1 million in state aid for 2011-12, including $2.4 million in equalization aid and $724,000 in aid for the Chapter 220 program, which allows Milwaukee students to attend suburban schools.
The district's tax levy will stay about level, and Wauwatosa officials have said they expect the school portion of residents' property taxes to stay steady or see a slight decrease for 2011-12, but final figures won't be known until enrollment and state aid are finalized in the fall.
The School Board on Monday also will discuss School Choice voucher legislation, virtual schools and benefits for administrators. A full agenda and supporting materials can be found here.
The meeting starts at 7 p.m. at the Fisher Building, 12121 W. North Ave.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Valentine business partners found coffee kept calling them back
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: March 5
- Public Forum: Women's rights, abortion rights, are not respected
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: March 5
- Dry cleaner seeks expansion into old City Market in Wauwatosa
- Twirly Birds vintage store plans return to Wauwatosa
- Construction worker dies in machinery accident at Zoo Interchange project
- Wauwatosa East teacher Barb Bruesewitz named ProStart Teacher of the Year
- Wauwatosa Virtual Academy meets diverse need of learners
- Pancake breakfast Sunday will raise money for scholarships