Liz Hood learned the value of a chiropractic adjustment while juggling three varsity sports at Wauwatosa East High School.
Little did she imagine that, years later, she would be the owner of the Chiropractic Care Center, where she got treatment as a teenager.
Hood, 31, took over the firm in 2010 after founding partner Dr. Marna Moolla retired.
Years earlier, it was Moolla who made the difference for Hood, who hurt her back when she was about 14.
Hood tried pills and other remedies before turning to chiropractic treatment, which her grandmother suggested.
"It was the one thing that was able to fix me up and get me through my sports injury," Hood said.
She was inspired by her experience.
"I thought I would help other people."
After a traditional undergraduate degree and another nearly four years of study, Hood got a doctor of chiropractic degree, which she describes as just shy of a medical degree.
"We're very similar to a D.O. - a doctor of osteopathy - but we don't do surgeries. No drugs, no surgeries, all conservative treatments," she explained.
After graduation, the plan was for Hood and Moolla to practice together. That changed when Moolla's own back injuries sidelined her.
Hood took over the firm last year.
Many of her patients are athletes with injuries, including some from Wauwatosa West High School, where Hood's husband, Jason, is a track coach.
Other patients use Hood like a primary care doctor role, seeking adjustments not only to relieve pain but also to manage everything from chronic conditions to the common cold.
The backbone of her business is still pain relief, however. And it's one of the most satisfying parts of Hood's job.
"The joy of helping someone with chiropractic pain is unbelievable."
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Chiropractic Care Center
ADDRESS: 2100 North Mayfair Road, Suite 201
ONLINE: wisconsinchiropracticcenter.com and Facebook
PHONE: (414) 476-2225
OWNER: Liz Hood
TYPE OF BUSINESS: chiropractor
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "The highlight of my day is the patient contact."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa attorneys come from entrepreneurial families
- Soaps & Scents sniffs out a new opportunity
- Even technophobs can have a better tech experience, owner says
- Platinum Salon relies on intimate, family atmosphere
- Tosa Wine & Spirits staff enjoys its new home
- Move to massage therapy good for the soul, Parlour owner says
- Designing durable landscapes a way of life for Tosa man
- Mobility store says it puts client needs before profit
- Birth center offers health services for whole family
- Standing the test of time
- Duo helps families choose assisted-living care right for them
- Filament shines light on home furnishing needs
- Optometrist's daughter sells children's glasses in Wauwatosa
- Tasting room appeals to wine afficianados, corporate planners
- Hot dog! Business venture helps teen learn value of a dollar
- As threats to trees increase, company prides itself on smart approach
- Former realtor now librarian at Christian Science Reading Room
- Proactive approach to health helps keep need for medicine at bay
- Steinway Piano Gallery celebrates gift of music
- Couple turns printing start-up in Wauwatosa into family business