East Tosa's stretch of North Avenue isn't the place for a day care center, the Wauwatosa Plan Commission said Monday.
Darneshia Jackson had requested a conditional-use permit to operate a day care center with up to 30 children enrolled in each of two shifts at 72nd Street and North Avenue. The building was last occupied by Curves.
The proposal called for an asphalt parking lot with a playground on it.
Mayor Jill Didier, commission chairwoman, said she was concerned about taking away parking spots and providing a safe dropoff area.
Jackson answered that she expected to transport most of the children and employees herself, so there would not be a great need for parking or a dropoff site.
The request was tabled at Didier's suggestion so Jackson can work with the Community Development Department to find a more appropriate place within Wauwatosa for the day care center.
Commissioner Jody Lowe voiced doubts that a day care in that spot would match with future East Tosa district plans, which received support from the panel later in the meeting and head to the Common Council for a public hearing next week.
"Trying to move forward with the plan, I'm not sure that this fits," she said.
Several residents of 72nd Street showed up, including Aaron Nikodem, who worried about traffic, the hours of operation - proposed for 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. - and the potential noise of having kids on the playground.
"On North Avenue, there's no way to safely drop off a child," he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Vape Haven rejected by Common Council
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Sept. 18
- Wauwatosa West has 11 National Merit semifinalists; Tosa East shut out
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Sept. 18
- Public Forum: E-cig rejection based on bias
- Thai-namite plans fall through in East Tosa
- Chili'n on the Ave. is Saturday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Sept. 11
- Chinese students seek brighter futures in Wauwatosa