The owner of an Indian grocery store in Wauwatosa is looking to move into a larger, neighboring office building.
"The Indian population is in the metro Milwaukee area, so this is about keeping up with demand," said Dinesh Sanghavi, owner of Indian Groceries & Spices at 10633 W. North Ave.
He has applied for a conditional-use permit to relocate and expand into the vacant three-story North Brook Executive Center, 10701 W. North Ave.
The proposal submitted to the Plan Commission on Monday called for minor upgrades to the building's exterior that will update its 1960s look.
"That building has been a dated eyesore for a long time now," Commissioner Gloria Stearns said.
The commission unanimously supported the project, moving it forward to the Community Development Committee for consideration on June 28.
The grocery store would be on the first floor, which would require renovation of about 11,000 square feet of office space and the addition of a new elevator, stairs and vestibule.
Shipping and storage would operate from the lower level and a new entrance off the parking lot and a loading dock off 107th Street would be added. Sanghavi does not have plans to alter the upper two levels at this point, unless office tenants are found that want to operate there.
He has operated the grocery in its existing spot since 1992.
A few neighbors worried about increased parking, but with the move bringing a significantly larger lot, Mayor Jill Didier said she doesn't foresee problems.
Commissioners inquired about whether ready-to-serve meals would be prepared, seeing an opportunity for Indian cuisine in Wauwatosa. The grocery only operates a small deli, but if a restaurateur shows interest, it's possible space could be provided in the future, Sanghavi said.
WHAT: The Community Development Department will discuss plans to move Indian Groceries & Spices into a larger, neighboring building.
WHEN: 8 p.m. June 28
WHERE: City Hall, 7725 W. North Ave.
- Shoulder mount of beloved deer 'Bow Tie' to return to Milwaukee Co. Parks
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Mount Mary University students gear up for CREO fashion show in Tosa
- Art majors find their footing at Mount Mary
- Mystery Photo Contest: May 5
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 9
- Wauwatosa Village streetscape work slotted to begin May 9 (2)
- Wauwatosa In Brief: May 5
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 24-30