The owner of an Indian grocery store in Wauwatosa is looking to move into a larger, neighboring office building.
"The Indian population is in the metro Milwaukee area, so this is about keeping up with demand," said Dinesh Sanghavi, owner of Indian Groceries & Spices at 10633 W. North Ave.
He has applied for a conditional-use permit to relocate and expand into the vacant three-story North Brook Executive Center, 10701 W. North Ave.
The proposal submitted to the Plan Commission on Monday called for minor upgrades to the building's exterior that will update its 1960s look.
"That building has been a dated eyesore for a long time now," Commissioner Gloria Stearns said.
The commission unanimously supported the project, moving it forward to the Community Development Committee for consideration on June 28.
The grocery store would be on the first floor, which would require renovation of about 11,000 square feet of office space and the addition of a new elevator, stairs and vestibule.
Shipping and storage would operate from the lower level and a new entrance off the parking lot and a loading dock off 107th Street would be added. Sanghavi does not have plans to alter the upper two levels at this point, unless office tenants are found that want to operate there.
He has operated the grocery in its existing spot since 1992.
A few neighbors worried about increased parking, but with the move bringing a significantly larger lot, Mayor Jill Didier said she doesn't foresee problems.
Commissioners inquired about whether ready-to-serve meals would be prepared, seeing an opportunity for Indian cuisine in Wauwatosa. The grocery only operates a small deli, but if a restaurateur shows interest, it's possible space could be provided in the future, Sanghavi said.
WHAT: The Community Development Department will discuss plans to move Indian Groceries & Spices into a larger, neighboring building.
WHEN: 8 p.m. June 28
WHERE: City Hall, 7725 W. North Ave.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa to participate in "Click It or Ticket" enforcement
- Tosa East student completes leadership program at Yale University
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan