A 45-year-old Wauwatosa woman was arrested for neglecting her 18-month-old grandchild; she is accused of leaving the child sleeping on the porch outside her home while she went to a bar.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A bartender said the woman acted disorderly and was already highly intoxicated when she arrived at 1:56 a.m. Wednesday. She couldn't keep her balance and was demanding a drink five minutes before bar time. After she was denied the alcohol, she grabbed a customer's beer and drank his entire glass.
Police took her home, where the woman's boyfriend refused to let her inside and asked where the child was. Her grandson was found sleeping on the porch wrapped in paper towel. She nearly fell holding him, and police grabbed him away. The boy is the child of the woman's daughter, who is away completing basic training for the military.
The Bureau of Child Welfare took custody of the child.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Is Currie Dog Park expanding?
- Business Notes: May 16
- Rios appointed to take open Tosa School Board seat
- Wauwatosa preservation panel approves plan for Eschweiler buildings
- Village of Wauwatosa starts work on new signage system
- ANEW offers seniors in need of care options
- Developer drops controversial Village project in Wauwatosa
- Baseball diamond project gets Wauwatosa panel's approval
- News & Notes: May 16
- Local bands compete in Launchpad event