A 45-year-old Wauwatosa woman was arrested for neglecting her 18-month-old grandchild; she is accused of leaving the child sleeping on the porch outside her home while she went to a bar.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A bartender said the woman acted disorderly and was already highly intoxicated when she arrived at 1:56 a.m. Wednesday. She couldn't keep her balance and was demanding a drink five minutes before bar time. After she was denied the alcohol, she grabbed a customer's beer and drank his entire glass.
Police took her home, where the woman's boyfriend refused to let her inside and asked where the child was. Her grandson was found sleeping on the porch wrapped in paper towel. She nearly fell holding him, and police grabbed him away. The boy is the child of the woman's daughter, who is away completing basic training for the military.
The Bureau of Child Welfare took custody of the child.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New UWM chancellor is high on Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Mary Linsmeier School closes in Wauwatosa after 50 years
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Dec. 18
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Dec. 18
- Older adults mutually gain from tutoring Milwaukee Public School students
- Wauwatosa Public Library kicks off new writing program
- Wauwatosa's Kathy's House sees rising demand for hospital hospitality
- Wauwatosa's State Street Station project sent back to committee
- In Our Schools: Dec. 18, 2014
- Wauwatosa West football field considered for $1.5 million artificial turf upgrade