A 55-year-old Milwaukee man was arrested for burglary and battery after he broke into a Wauwatosa home and took collectible figurines, then later injured an officer at the police station.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The man's wife called police about 8 p.m. June 1, because she was worried about the stolen property he had brought into his home at 90th Street and Mount Vernon Avenue, just across the border in Milwaukee. She found about 30 Lladro figurines, which are Spanish porcelain figurines valued at several hundred dollars each, in the basement.
He said he had been out walking and saw a home in the 400 block of North 89th Street in Wauwatosa that looked abandoned. He tried a door and found it unlocked, so he entered and found a display case full of figurines. He said he made a few trips back and forth to collect the items but he only planned to keep them safe for the owner.
Police checked out the home and found a hoarding situation with items blocking walking paths, making it difficult to get around. The house also had cobwebs, a thick layer of dust and raccoons could be heard running around. The 49-year-old woman who owns the home hasn't lived there for several years, neighbors told officers.
After he had been taken to the police station for burglary, officers heard a loud banging and realized he was shaking the holding-cell door at 12:13 a.m. June 2. The cell floor was covered with water. He had unrolled the cardboard at the center of the toilet paper and put it over the floor drain, then he had splashed water from the sink onto the floor.
Officers tried to handcuff him to keep him from continuing his actions, but he resisted arrest, taking a swing and eventually kicking an officer in the knee.
He was then arrested for battery to a law enforcement officer.
The man's charging hearing has been delayed until Thursday to get a status on the injury of the officer, who went to Froedtert Hospital that night.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa East student completes leadership program at Yale University
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike