Reconstruction of Bluemound Road has started just as the 70th Street bridge replacement project reaches completion.
The pavement, curb and gutter will be replaced on Bluemound Road (also known as Highway 18) between Mayfair Road and the Brookfield border at 124th Street.
One lane of traffic will remain open in each direction, but parking will be eliminated in front of local businesses. For the duration of construction - expected to last through December - parking restrictions along side streets will be relaxed.
Starting this week, the 70th Street railroad crossing south of State Street will be closed so a raised safety median can be installed, according to the Village Business Improvement District weekly update. During this time, all access to Hart Park will be off 72nd Street. Completion should coincide with the end of the 70th Street bridge reconstruction project.
While the bridge project was delayed due to wet spring weather, it looks like it should be done in time for Hart Fest on June 17 and 18, according to the city Engineering Department.
A third construction project, although happening across the border in Elm Grove, may have an impact on Wauwatosa traffic.
Elm Grove will begin repaving Watertown Plank Road between 124th Street and Legion Drive (near the railroad crossing) starting in mid-June, according to City Administrator James Archambo's weekly report. Lane closures may lead to traffic changes until the project is complete in November.
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (2)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?