How do passes to the new Tosa Pool at Hoyt Park and vouchers for the concession stand sound?
Kids entering the Friends of Hoyt Park & Pool essay contest have a chance to win just that.
Young writers are asked to address the topic of how swimming at the pool will lead to a happier, healthier community.
The concept for a contest came up during a planning session for the pool's opening gala, scheduled for May 27. There will be tours, live music, a silent auction and food and drink.
"It's really not an event for kids because there won't be any swimming," said Mary Pluta, communications director for the Friends. "We didn't think it would be fair to make it a family event and put a pool in front of them that they couldn't swim in."
But there was still a desire for some representation by the community's youth, the inspiration behind the project.
"This has always been about the kids of Wauwatosa and the greater Milwaukee County," she said.
The authors of the winning essays will attend the gala to read their pieces during the ribbon-cutting.
Winners will be chosen in each of three age categories.
Little ones in kindergarten through second grade can submit an original drawing and a caption explaining the topic. In the third- through fifth-grade and sixth- through eighth-grade categories, children can submit one piece of creative writing addressing the theme not to exceed 250 neatly written or typed words. Those entries can be in poem, story or essay form.
Entries can be submitted by email to email@example.com or on 8½ x 11-inch white or lined paper to Friends of Hoyt Park & Pool, P.O. Box 13936, Wauwatosa, WI 53213. Entries must be submitted or postmarked by April 23.
Submissions must include the student's name, school, grade, name(s) of their parent(s), address and phone number.
- Local cancer survivors rally together for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk
- Shoulder mount of beloved deer 'Bow Tie' to return to Milwaukee Co. Parks
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Mount Mary University students gear up for CREO fashion show in Tosa
- Art majors find their footing at Mount Mary
- Mystery Photo Contest: May 5
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 9
- Wauwatosa Village streetscape work slotted to begin May 9 (2)
- Wauwatosa In Brief: May 5