How do passes to the new Tosa Pool at Hoyt Park and vouchers for the concession stand sound?
Kids entering the Friends of Hoyt Park & Pool essay contest have a chance to win just that.
Young writers are asked to address the topic of how swimming at the pool will lead to a happier, healthier community.
The concept for a contest came up during a planning session for the pool's opening gala, scheduled for May 27. There will be tours, live music, a silent auction and food and drink.
"It's really not an event for kids because there won't be any swimming," said Mary Pluta, communications director for the Friends. "We didn't think it would be fair to make it a family event and put a pool in front of them that they couldn't swim in."
But there was still a desire for some representation by the community's youth, the inspiration behind the project.
"This has always been about the kids of Wauwatosa and the greater Milwaukee County," she said.
The authors of the winning essays will attend the gala to read their pieces during the ribbon-cutting.
Winners will be chosen in each of three age categories.
Little ones in kindergarten through second grade can submit an original drawing and a caption explaining the topic. In the third- through fifth-grade and sixth- through eighth-grade categories, children can submit one piece of creative writing addressing the theme not to exceed 250 neatly written or typed words. Those entries can be in poem, story or essay form.
Entries can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or on 8½ x 11-inch white or lined paper to Friends of Hoyt Park & Pool, P.O. Box 13936, Wauwatosa, WI 53213. Entries must be submitted or postmarked by April 23.
Submissions must include the student's name, school, grade, name(s) of their parent(s), address and phone number.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting