Wauwatosa police officers found a loaded gun in a man's car as they arrested him for his third drunken-driving offense.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
Officers responded to a call about a man sleeping behind the wheel in the 11200 block of West Burleigh Road about 3:15 a.m. March 24. The car was on the side of the road, but the car was running and the headlights were on.
Officers attempted to wake the 49-year-old Milwaukee man first by knocking on the window and then by opening the door and shaking the man's arm. He eventually woke up and told police he had had too much to drink.
During a search of the vehicle, police found a .44-caliber revolver loaded with hollow-point rounds, as well as some additional ammunition. The man told police he had the gun for protection because he had been shot in Milwaukee five years ago and also had been a robbery victim. He said he did not carry the gun with him but left it in his car, although state law requires guns to be unloaded and in a carrying case when they are transported in a vehicle.
The man was arrested for drunken driving and carrying a concealed weapon. Blood was drawn to determine his blood-alcohol content.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa reaches deal on Locust Street drop-off lot for students
- Consultant begins process to redesign Wauwatosa Village streetscape
- Wauwatosa farmers market opening for sixth season Saturday
- Milwaukee man charged for causing fatal rollover crash in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (4)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Milwaukee man faces charges for sex with Wauwatosa teen, possession of child pornography