Residents of a West Allis neighborhood had to be evacuated temporarily after a car crashed into a home and caused a gas leak early Friday morning.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
At 1:34 a.m., a Wauwatosa officer tried to stop a GMC Envoy that failed to make a stop at Robertson Street and Wisconsin Avenue. However, the driver sped up and started a chase that exceeded 85 mph and covered 1.4 miles into West Allis. The driver lost control and the vehicle left the roadway, striking a stop sign and coming to rest against the home at 1101 S. 84th St.
The 19-year-old male driver and the 23-year-old female passenger, both from Milwaukee, got out of the vehicle and ran through neighboring yards. The woman was arrested for resisting arrest.
The man laid down like he was surrendering but he got back up and made another run for it. A canine officer found him hiding under a Jeep. He was arrested for vehicle theft, eluding an officer and habitual crimes. In the past two years, he has been convicted of vandalism, theft, resisting arrest and drug dealing.
Officers learned the vehicle had been stolen from West Allis. He said he had received it from a friend he had been smoking marijuana with earlier in the evening. He knew the car was stolen and he had no license, so he decided to flee from the police car.
- Shoulder mount of beloved deer 'Bow Tie' to return to Milwaukee Co. Parks
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Mount Mary University students gear up for CREO fashion show in Tosa
- Art majors find their footing at Mount Mary
- Mystery Photo Contest: May 5
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 9
- Wauwatosa Village streetscape work slotted to begin May 9 (2)
- Wauwatosa In Brief: May 5
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 24-30