Residents of a West Allis neighborhood had to be evacuated temporarily after a car crashed into a home and caused a gas leak early Friday morning.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
At 1:34 a.m., a Wauwatosa officer tried to stop a GMC Envoy that failed to make a stop at Robertson Street and Wisconsin Avenue. However, the driver sped up and started a chase that exceeded 85 mph and covered 1.4 miles into West Allis. The driver lost control and the vehicle left the roadway, striking a stop sign and coming to rest against the home at 1101 S. 84th St.
The 19-year-old male driver and the 23-year-old female passenger, both from Milwaukee, got out of the vehicle and ran through neighboring yards. The woman was arrested for resisting arrest.
The man laid down like he was surrendering but he got back up and made another run for it. A canine officer found him hiding under a Jeep. He was arrested for vehicle theft, eluding an officer and habitual crimes. In the past two years, he has been convicted of vandalism, theft, resisting arrest and drug dealing.
Officers learned the vehicle had been stolen from West Allis. He said he had received it from a friend he had been smoking marijuana with earlier in the evening. He knew the car was stolen and he had no license, so he decided to flee from the police car.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa police search for armed bank robbery suspect
- Tosa letters to the editor: Destination Imagination
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 6
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Aug. 6
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Aug. 6
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Aug. 10
- J. Crew Mercantile to open store at The Mayfair Collection (1)
- Art gallery featuring work of at-risk youth opens in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Aug. 3
- Wednesday house fire causes $100,000 in damage to Tosa home