Scam artists posing as tree-trimmers are back in Wauwatosa and a 71-year-old man fell victim to their con last week.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
A man knocked on the door at 1:30 p.m. March 2 stating that he worked for a tree trimming company and offering his services. The homeowner invited him into his kitchen, where they agreed on a $50 upfront payment. The worker watched as the homeowner took money out of a hiding place.
A second man showed up saying he was there to set up a wood chipper, but in hindsight the homeowner realized he didn't see any machines.
The initial worker asked the homeowner to accompany him outside to point out which tree to trim. When they returned, the man went back to his vehicle, got in and left. Soon afterward, he realized $1,000 was missing from the house.
The suspects were described as Hispanic men, one in his early 20s and the second about 25 years old, with a medium build and about 5 feet, 8 inches tall. The vehicle was a dark-colored sports utility vehicle or van.
A man pretending to work for a tree service burglarized a house in Tosa and got violent with the homeowner earlier this winter. Menomonee Falls has investigated similar crimes.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Longfellow hosting Wauwatosa's Memorial Day ceremony Monday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: May 10-16 (1)
- Choice school, dry cleaning issues held for more discussion in Wauwatosa
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100? (2)
- Wauwatosa to take extra step vetting St. Camillus proposal for tallest building in city
- Yellow Wood will bring high-quality outdoors gear to Whitefish Bay
- Medical College plans expansion with demolition of building on Mayfair Road
- Wauwatosa approves conceptual design for pocket park on North Avenue (9)
- Wauwatosa School Board approves raises for teachers, administrators and staff
- Tosa Tonight releases lineup for summer concert series