After months of speculation, Eaton Corp. has officially announced it will build a new facility for its electrical and technical division in the Milwaukee County Research Park in Wauwatosa.
Mayor Jill Didier issued a news release today to welcome the company to the city.
City staff members have been working with Irgens Development Partners and Research Park representatives to "ensure that Wauwatosa became Eaton's new home," Didier said. "Eaton could have made the decision to move its operations to another state, but instead it made the commitment to remain in Wisconsin."
There has been talk of the city providing financial assistance in the form of tax credits to make the project happen, but those details have not yet been finalized, she said.
The region will retain 145 existing positions and there is potential for future growth, Eaton executives have said. In addition, a location in the Milwaukee County Research Park puts the company close to other technically savvy businesses, which can foster growth and new ideas.
The company will leave Milwaukee's northside, a move not supported by Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett.
The new building's owners wants to achieve LEED silver certification, an environmental standard in the construction industry, by using the company's energy-saving products. Construction is expected to begin this summer and provide 350 construction jobs.
"It has been a pleasure working with Eaton officials as they determined what location would best meet their long-term needs," Didier said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Future Wauwatosa high school graduates face new science requirements
- Wauwatosa's Night Out celebrates 20th anniversary Aug. 5
- Wauwatosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- State Fair highlights Wauwatosa businesses, crafts
- Ask Now: Do police officers still give out baseball cards?
- Wauwatosa's Hawaiian specialty store crowdfunds commercial kitchen
- Wisconsin's only texting-while-driving simulator sobers distracted drivers
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 31
- Biz Buzz: July 31
- Wauwatosa's Firefly Art Fair a natural landscape of beauty