After months of speculation, Eaton Corp. has officially announced it will build a new facility for its electrical and technical division in the Milwaukee County Research Park in Wauwatosa.
Mayor Jill Didier issued a news release today to welcome the company to the city.
City staff members have been working with Irgens Development Partners and Research Park representatives to "ensure that Wauwatosa became Eaton's new home," Didier said. "Eaton could have made the decision to move its operations to another state, but instead it made the commitment to remain in Wisconsin."
There has been talk of the city providing financial assistance in the form of tax credits to make the project happen, but those details have not yet been finalized, she said.
The region will retain 145 existing positions and there is potential for future growth, Eaton executives have said. In addition, a location in the Milwaukee County Research Park puts the company close to other technically savvy businesses, which can foster growth and new ideas.
The company will leave Milwaukee's northside, a move not supported by Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett.
The new building's owners wants to achieve LEED silver certification, an environmental standard in the construction industry, by using the company's energy-saving products. Construction is expected to begin this summer and provide 350 construction jobs.
"It has been a pleasure working with Eaton officials as they determined what location would best meet their long-term needs," Didier said.
- Tosa police investigating armed robbery at North Shore Bank Wednesday
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Perspective Design specializes in being a generalist
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 19 - 25
- Wauwatosa In Brief: Get set for Dozer Day in the Village, July 9
- Wauwatosa Meetings: June 30
- Wauwatosa Village businesses remain upbeat amid ongoing reconstruction
- East Tosa Gran Prix draws racers from across the continent
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: June 30
- Mystery Photo Contest: June 30
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of July 4