The city's newest department heads will each get paid more than $100,000, the Common Council decided in a 10-3 vote Tuesday.
The council approved compensation for Finance Director Craig Kammholz and Public Works Director Bill Porter. A special council meeting was held because the compensation packages weren't read into the record at the prior week's meeting as required by city ordinance.
Kammholz will get a starting salary of $105,900, as well as three weeks of vacation. Porter's compensation package calls for a $104,830 salary, three weeks of vacation and a $300 monthly car allowance in lieu of a city vehicle.
Both also would receive a week of "executive leave," unpaid time off that provides some time off to employees coming from jobs that offered more vacation time.
Some aldermen have called the pay excessive, but City Administrator James Archambo said there is a cost savings from the salaries of the people who recently left those positions.
"It's less than what we paid before but more than what they were making before coming here," he said.
Both new hires likely will start by mid-March, Archambo said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Kids dig into nature at Camp Arrowhead
- I-94 closure 'smooth as could be'
- Residents seek ideas for changes at Center Street Park
- Wauwatosa honors first responders
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 10
- Menomonee River 14-year-old drowning victim identified
- Comb 'N Shear in Wauwatosa gives personalized service
- Ask Now: Will the city ever collect recyclables on a weekly basis?