A 16-year-old Milwaukee boy was so bent on taking an iPod from the Apple Store at Mayfair on Saturday that it took three off-duty law enforcement officers to stop him.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
Lt. William Brown of the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office was standing in line at the store so he could have his phone fixed about 3:30 p.m. When he saw the boy remove a security device from an MP3 player, he introduced himself as an off-duty officer and advised him not to take the item.
The boy refused to listen and pocketed the iPod, then he tried to leave the store. Brown attempted to restrain the boy and ended up getting punched in the face. An off-duty officer from the New Berlin Police Department, who was working as store security, and an off-duty Milwaukee police lieutenant came to Brown's assistance.
Brown refused medical treatment, but later sent Wauwatosa police pictures of his facial injuries.
The boy, who had his 7-year-old nephew with him, had a record of prior incidents of shoplifting and resisting arrest. This time, he was arrested for retail theft and battery and his case was sent to the district attorney's office for review.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Sept. 3
- Hundreds of Tosa residents experienced short power outage Aug. 27
- Wauwatosa Village valet service tentatively halted on Sundays
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Wauwatosa School District filled a 'typical' 60 jobs this summer (2)
- Monarch advocates celebrate 10th year of releasing butterflies at County Grounds in Wauwatosa
- Disability advocates concerned about lack of housing in Wauwatosa
- Gay Ex-Wauwatosa police officer says she endured years of harassment, gets $77k settlement
- Wauwatosa's Diva Day brings shopping deals and business boosts
- Wauwatosa things to do: August 27