The Wauwatosa School Board on Monday will vote on a proposal to implement a Spanish language program for first- through fifth-grade students starting next fall.
The proposal has proven controversial because the district would restructure its elementary school library staff - creating one full-time supervisory position in charge of part-time assistants in Wauwatosa's nine elementary schools - to pay for the Spanish teachers needed in the new program.
A meeting earlier this month drew a standing-room-only crowd and dozens of comments from district parents and staff members.
The School Board on Monday also will vote on establishing a Montessori program for junior kindergarten through fifth-grade students starting in the 2011-12 academic year.
The School Board meeting will start at 7 p.m. Monday in the cafeteria at Wauwatosa West High School, 11400 W. Center St.
The agenda and supporting materials for Monday's meeting can be found here.
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 26
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 30
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: May 26
- Video: Reporter takes us along the 2016 Run Tosa Run
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Tips for finding the perfect bicycle
- Five biking routes to try in Wauwatosa and beyond this summer
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 19
- Campus News: May 19