With many homes and buildings in Tosa constructed more than 50 years ago, it would be easy to let them fall into disrepair.
The Wauwatosa Historic Preservation Commission will recognize property owners who have made exterior improvements in the past five years through a new Preservation of Properties Award.
"This is a way to acknowledge and show appreciation to those that have done exterior improvement projects that honor the character of the home or property," said Kathy Ehley, commission chairwoman.
In an effort to open the contest to a larger population, the property need not be formally designated as historically significant to qualify, she said.
Improvements to homes, barns, garages and yards, and commercial and public buildings and grounds, are eligible. Winning properties will be chosen based on the challenges overcome and the strategies carried out to make the renovations, the impact the changes have on the community and how the project could serve as a model for others in Tosa.
Nominations are due Feb. 23. Any individual, group or entity can make a nomination. Get nomination forms from the city Planning Division at City Hall or online at Wauwatosa.net.
Winners will be honored during a Common Council meeting in May, which is Historic Preservation Month.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zoo Interchange ramp closing March 26-April 2
- Wauwatiki plans to bring Caribbean cuisine, cocktails to East Tosa
- Student writing contest entries due today
- Wauwatosa East students reeling from teacher's sudden resignation
- Wauwatosans lobby lawmakers for public education funding
- Wauwatosa police warn residents about buying fake iPhones
- Education Foundation of Wauwatosa donates $69,784 to district in 8 grants
- Washington Ranks among Healthier Counties in Wisconsin's Health Rankings
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Cattywampus upcycling store in Wauwatosa makes vintage decor modern