With many homes and buildings in Tosa constructed more than 50 years ago, it would be easy to let them fall into disrepair.
The Wauwatosa Historic Preservation Commission will recognize property owners who have made exterior improvements in the past five years through a new Preservation of Properties Award.
"This is a way to acknowledge and show appreciation to those that have done exterior improvement projects that honor the character of the home or property," said Kathy Ehley, commission chairwoman.
In an effort to open the contest to a larger population, the property need not be formally designated as historically significant to qualify, she said.
Improvements to homes, barns, garages and yards, and commercial and public buildings and grounds, are eligible. Winning properties will be chosen based on the challenges overcome and the strategies carried out to make the renovations, the impact the changes have on the community and how the project could serve as a model for others in Tosa.
Nominations are due Feb. 23. Any individual, group or entity can make a nomination. Get nomination forms from the city Planning Division at City Hall or online at Wauwatosa.net.
Winners will be honored during a Common Council meeting in May, which is Historic Preservation Month.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New UWM chancellor is high on Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Mary Linsmeier School closes in Wauwatosa after 50 years
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Dec. 18
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Dec. 18
- Older adults mutually gain from tutoring Milwaukee Public School students
- Wauwatosa Public Library kicks off new writing program
- Wauwatosa's Kathy's House sees rising demand for hospital hospitality
- Wauwatosa's State Street Station project sent back to committee
- In Our Schools: Dec. 18, 2014
- Wauwatosa West football field considered for $1.5 million artificial turf upgrade