Two men were ejected from a vehicle that crashed in the 2000 block of North 72nd Street and Hillcrest Drive about 10 p.m. on Saturday. The driver has been arrested for drunken driving for the second time, causing injury and eluding police.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
They had been at a bar on North Avenue and decided to head to bars on Blue Mound Road. The 23-year-old driver had been speeding and failed to stop for a sign at 68th Street. The vehicle drove over the curb and sidewalk, narrowly missing a light pole, and into a yard at 71st Street and Milwaukee Avenue. The driver started the car up again and headed back over the curb onto Milwaukee Avenue.
The driver saw a patrol car and accelerated, driving north in the southbound lane of 72nd Street. He later told officers the 22-year-old front seat passenger was telling at him not to pull over because he had a warrant. A short pursuit ended when the car crashed into a tree in a residential yard.
The impact caused a loud crash that sounded like an explosion, neighbors said.
The officer saw two bodies lying motionless - one in the roadway and one in a neighboring yard - that had been ejected from the vehicle. The driver was moaning and bleeding from his head, while the passenger was breathing. Paramedics were called to the scene.
The backseat passenger, a 22-year-old man, was thrown into the front seat against the dashboard. He complained of leg pain.
All three men were taken to Froedtert Hospital for evaluation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Power restored to Eisenhower after classes canceled
- Four-story apartment building proposed for Hall Automotive site
- Little Read Book in Wauwatosa has author signing Sunday
- Wauwatosa police say train death was accidental
- Wauwatosa School District to tighten security with added cameras, changed school entrances
- Wauwatosa Senior Center plans November events
- Biz Buz:: New brew at Ray's
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa School Board approves 1.43 percent levy reduction
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Oct. 30