An explosion occurred at the construction site of the Hoyt Park pool in Wauwatosa yesterday afternoon sending two people to the hospital.
The exact cause remains under investigation, but a welding accident may have occurred in the basement of the pool building, Deputy Fire Chief James Case said.
Wauwatosa Fire Department received a call at 2:50 p.m., and two people were taken to Froedtert Hospital with injuries considered not life-threatening, he said. The project was turned back over to the contractor, but a visit from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration may follow.
Construction crews have been working to renovate the historic poolhouse and build a new community pool, dubbed Tosa Pool at Hoyt Park, which is scheduled to open Memorial Day weekend.
Case said any damage from the explosion "doesn't appear that it would drastically impact the schedule of the project."
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Truck carrying appliances collides with railroad bridge in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: The Flower Lady stays true to the Village, and finds room to grow
- Tosa fire chief named to Wisconsin State Fire Chiefs Association
- Wauwatosa's 22nd Secret Garden Tour scheduled for July 9
- Tosa police investigating armed robbery at North Shore Bank Wednesday
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Perspective Design specializes in being a generalist
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 19 - 25
- Wauwatosa In Brief: Get set for Dozer Day in the Village, July 9
- Wauwatosa Meetings: June 30