An explosion occurred at the construction site of the Hoyt Park pool in Wauwatosa yesterday afternoon sending two people to the hospital.
The exact cause remains under investigation, but a welding accident may have occurred in the basement of the pool building, Deputy Fire Chief James Case said.
Wauwatosa Fire Department received a call at 2:50 p.m., and two people were taken to Froedtert Hospital with injuries considered not life-threatening, he said. The project was turned back over to the contractor, but a visit from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration may follow.
Construction crews have been working to renovate the historic poolhouse and build a new community pool, dubbed Tosa Pool at Hoyt Park, which is scheduled to open Memorial Day weekend.
Case said any damage from the explosion "doesn't appear that it would drastically impact the schedule of the project."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Not just a class, but an adventure
- Decision on Mayfair apartment proposal delayed by Wauwatosa plan panel
- Ask NOW: Why all the yellow flags on Wisconsin Avenue in Wauwatosa?
- News & Notes: Dec. 11
- Plumber dragged as he tries to stop tool thieves outside Wauwatosa Home Depot
- Man arrested for exposing himself to woman in Wauwatosa
- Police Report: Dec. 11
- Wauwatosa schedules North Avenue repaving project for summer
- Wauwatosa presents new teacher pay plan
- Wauwatosa School Board honors 11 staff employees for exemplary service