An explosion occurred at the construction site of the Hoyt Park pool in Wauwatosa yesterday afternoon sending two people to the hospital.
The exact cause remains under investigation, but a welding accident may have occurred in the basement of the pool building, Deputy Fire Chief James Case said.
Wauwatosa Fire Department received a call at 2:50 p.m., and two people were taken to Froedtert Hospital with injuries considered not life-threatening, he said. The project was turned back over to the contractor, but a visit from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration may follow.
Construction crews have been working to renovate the historic poolhouse and build a new community pool, dubbed Tosa Pool at Hoyt Park, which is scheduled to open Memorial Day weekend.
Case said any damage from the explosion "doesn't appear that it would drastically impact the schedule of the project."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- J. Crew Mercantile to open store at The Mayfair Collection (1)
- Art gallery featuring work of at-risk youth opens in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Aug. 3
- Wednesday house fire causes $100,000 in damage to Tosa home
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 30
- In Brief: July 30
- Streetscape project moves to Tosa's Common Council (2)
- Wauwatosa woman believed to be oldest in state
- A Wauwatosa artist's unique work will be on display at the Firefly Art Fair
- First Responders Fest "humbling" for Wauwatosa's emergency crew leaders