An explosion occurred at the construction site of the Hoyt Park pool in Wauwatosa yesterday afternoon sending two people to the hospital.
The exact cause remains under investigation, but a welding accident may have occurred in the basement of the pool building, Deputy Fire Chief James Case said.
Wauwatosa Fire Department received a call at 2:50 p.m., and two people were taken to Froedtert Hospital with injuries considered not life-threatening, he said. The project was turned back over to the contractor, but a visit from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration may follow.
Construction crews have been working to renovate the historic poolhouse and build a new community pool, dubbed Tosa Pool at Hoyt Park, which is scheduled to open Memorial Day weekend.
Case said any damage from the explosion "doesn't appear that it would drastically impact the schedule of the project."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- On The Move: September 4
- Athleta coming to Mayfair
- In Brief: Three aquatic parks, including Hoyt Pool, to stay open through Monday
- 88-year-old passenger dies after three-car crash in Tosa
- Police say train accident was 'apparent suicide' by Oak Creek man
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking allowed on both sides of Menomonee River Parkway?
- New associate principals at Wauwatosa East High School come from Milwaukee, Waukesha
- Tajikistan visit expands outlook on food sources and heritage for Wauwatosa West students
- New school year for the Wauwatosa School District brings new standards, evaluations and projects