A sports bar with stripper poles? Tosa officials concerned about elements in Mad Dog proposal
Stripper poles, a large stage for entertainment and lack of an operating plan didn't win Mad Dog Saloon any points with Plan Commission on Monday night.
Dominic LaLicata applied to open the bar in the Village at 6750 W. State St., where an Applebee's currently operates. The Applebee's is set to close at a later date. LaLicata owns a Mad Dog Saloon in Greenfield, as well as Boulder Junction restaurant in Brookfield and Crazy Horse strip club in West Allis.
LaLicata pitched his business as a sports bar, but Mayor Jill Didier voiced concern that the set up at the Greenfield location might show otherwise.
"Rumor has it you have a couple of stripper poles in your establishment," said Didier, chairwoman of the commission.
LaLicata called the poles "a gimmick," comparing it to the giant pepper people can ride at La Perla in Milwaukee.
"We might have a contest where if people climb to the top the pole, they get a prize," he said. "Five times as many men have climbed the pole as women."
The mayor also quizzed the bar owner about police calls to the Greenfield location, a "scantily clad" woman welcoming visitors on the Mad Dog Saloon website and why he thinks his business would be a good fit for the Village. Many of those questions were evaded with talk about the food and drink specials he plans to run and his willingness to open a new business in this economy.
Commissioners were troubled about the lack of detail provided by LaLicata as far as an operating plan and facility layout. Commissioners cited his mention of wanting to include a pool table, arcade and dart games, but they appeared nowhere on the site plan. He didn't provide information on the type of entertainment he planned to offer or the percentage of alcohol to food sales.
The commission unanimously voted to hold the request until LaLicata could bring back some answers. Meanwhile, Applebee's remains open for business.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting