A Wauwatosa home received extensive heat and smoke damage after a fire that broke out in the basement Sunday afternoon.
A neighbor saw smoke at 6104 W. Wells St. and called the Fire Department at 1:19 p.m., Assistant Chief Michael Anton said.
The fire had spread through the walls and traveled to the attic.
"Damage to the structure and its contents is estimated at $250,000," Anton said.
The owners arrived home as firefighters were dousing the blaze. No one had been in the house.
The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes, but it took about one hour to extinguish it.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa hosts wedding expo for same-sex couples
- Wauwatosa's Underwood Elementary students donate candy to troops overseas
- Business Spotlight: Wauwatosa yoga and massage center aims to bring body and mind into focus
- In Wauwatosa, aging tailor joins forces with fashion-designing granddaughter
- WSTEM's outdoor classroom continues learning beyond classroom
- In Brief: Tosa Yoga hosts craft fair and Blood Center gains alliance
- Wauwatosa passes levy increase with four aldermen dissenting
- Wauwatosa man's dream 'Ability Center' could have $15 million annual impact, study finds
- Mystery Photo Contest: Nov. 20
- Duct tape fashion show raises money for Longfellow DI program in Wauwatosa