A Wauwatosa home received extensive heat and smoke damage after a fire that broke out in the basement Sunday afternoon.
A neighbor saw smoke at 6104 W. Wells St. and called the Fire Department at 1:19 p.m., Assistant Chief Michael Anton said.
The fire had spread through the walls and traveled to the attic.
"Damage to the structure and its contents is estimated at $250,000," Anton said.
The owners arrived home as firefighters were dousing the blaze. No one had been in the house.
The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes, but it took about one hour to extinguish it.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa students win Destination Imagination awards
- Celebrate Earth Day by sprucing up Tosa green spaces
- Wauwatosa United Methodist Church make PB&J sandwiches for meal program
- Business loan program use picks up with economy
- Fire Department hopes to start home safety visits
- Police Reports: April 22
- Longfellow Middle School's theater director retires on 'Disney's Little Mermaid, Jr.'
- Reading incentives help prevent 'summer slide' at Wauwatosa East
- Ask NOW: What can be done about pet owners that don't clean up 'droppings'?
- WPA seeking assistant program director