A Wauwatosa home received extensive heat and smoke damage after a fire that broke out in the basement Sunday afternoon.
A neighbor saw smoke at 6104 W. Wells St. and called the Fire Department at 1:19 p.m., Assistant Chief Michael Anton said.
The fire had spread through the walls and traveled to the attic.
"Damage to the structure and its contents is estimated at $250,000," Anton said.
The owners arrived home as firefighters were dousing the blaze. No one had been in the house.
The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes, but it took about one hour to extinguish it.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Power restored to Eisenhower after classes canceled
- Four-story apartment building proposed for Hall Automotive site
- Little Read Book in Wauwatosa has author signing Sunday
- Wauwatosa police say train death was accidental
- Wauwatosa School District to tighten security with added cameras, changed school entrances
- Wauwatosa Senior Center plans November events
- Biz Buz:: New brew at Ray's
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa School Board approves 1.43 percent levy reduction
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Oct. 30