A Wauwatosa home received extensive heat and smoke damage after a fire that broke out in the basement Sunday afternoon.
A neighbor saw smoke at 6104 W. Wells St. and called the Fire Department at 1:19 p.m., Assistant Chief Michael Anton said.
The fire had spread through the walls and traveled to the attic.
"Damage to the structure and its contents is estimated at $250,000," Anton said.
The owners arrived home as firefighters were dousing the blaze. No one had been in the house.
The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes, but it took about one hour to extinguish it.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- DA's office will not bring criminal charges against officers who shot and killed man with sword (1)
- Mayfair mall, Susan G. Komen host series of breast cancer events
- Wauwatosa schools celebrate Walk to School Day on Oct. 7
- Wauwatosa Fire Department earns accreditation, and is now more data-driven than ever
- A tour of homes with a flavor of architecture and history
- Wauwatosa West High School homecoming is student-run this year
- Tosa Farmers Market pushes for end-of-year attendance
- In brief: author chat, budget talks, spring election
- Wauwatosa School Board approves superintendent's new contract, salary
- Wauwatosa News IQ: Oct. 1