Wauwatosa officials are speaking out about the crimes that went down at Mayfair Mall on Sunday evening.
"As mayor of Wauwatosa, I want to be very clear when I say that the kind of disruption that was made last night at Mayfair Mall will not be condoned," Mayor Jill Didier said in a statement this afternoon.
She vowed that the city will pursue and prosecute the criminals.
Several people have been arrested for various crimes, including disorderly conduct and vandalism, but no arrests have been made in the attempted armed robbery or gunfire in the mall parking lot.
Brian Ewerdt, alderman for the district in which the mall is located, also had strong words about the perpetrators, who he referred to as a "herd of punks that in hindsight will wish they picked a different spot to pull something this stupid."
He's confident that the people involved will be arrested and held accountable, he said.
Most people will see this as an isolated incident and it won't change their shopping habits, Ewerdt said. But it's an opportunity to review security policies, which the city has done over the past several years, leading to positive results, he said.
Didier said city and mall officials are taking the incident seriously.
"Our Police Department and mall security partners will do everything possible to ensure the safety of community members and business patrons," she said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zoo Interchange ramp closing March 26-April 2
- Wauwatiki plans to bring Caribbean cuisine, cocktails to East Tosa
- Student writing contest entries due today
- Wauwatosa East students reeling from teacher's sudden resignation
- Wauwatosans lobby lawmakers for public education funding
- Wauwatosa police warn residents about buying fake iPhones
- Education Foundation of Wauwatosa donates $69,784 to district in 8 grants
- Washington Ranks among Healthier Counties in Wisconsin's Health Rankings
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Cattywampus upcycling store in Wauwatosa makes vintage decor modern