Wauwatosa officials are speaking out about the crimes that went down at Mayfair Mall on Sunday evening.
"As mayor of Wauwatosa, I want to be very clear when I say that the kind of disruption that was made last night at Mayfair Mall will not be condoned," Mayor Jill Didier said in a statement this afternoon.
She vowed that the city will pursue and prosecute the criminals.
Several people have been arrested for various crimes, including disorderly conduct and vandalism, but no arrests have been made in the attempted armed robbery or gunfire in the mall parking lot.
Brian Ewerdt, alderman for the district in which the mall is located, also had strong words about the perpetrators, who he referred to as a "herd of punks that in hindsight will wish they picked a different spot to pull something this stupid."
He's confident that the people involved will be arrested and held accountable, he said.
Most people will see this as an isolated incident and it won't change their shopping habits, Ewerdt said. But it's an opportunity to review security policies, which the city has done over the past several years, leading to positive results, he said.
Didier said city and mall officials are taking the incident seriously.
"Our Police Department and mall security partners will do everything possible to ensure the safety of community members and business patrons," she said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- City offers developers financial assistance for Underwood apartments
- Weekly Planner: Oct. 23
- Tosa East Players perform play-within-a-play in 'Curtains'
- What to expect as Wauwautosa YMCA changes hands
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Oct. 23
- In Our Schools: Oct. 23
- Biz Buzz: Corner Bakery, T.J. Maxx, Pizza Man, Camp Bar Tosa, Hue Vietnamese Restaurant
- Business Notes: Oct. 23
- DEA says four Wauwatosa pharmacies used in prescription fraud ring