A Wauwatosa East student has made it into the art elite.
High school senior Katharine Geerster has been named a 2011 YoungArts finalist in theater by the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts.
In January, she will travel to Miami to participate in YoungArts Week to participate in arts enrichment activities with 150 of the nation's most talented 17- and 18-year-old artists spanning nine disciplines. Geerster made the cut from a pool of 7,000 applicants.
As part of this selection, she becomes a contender to be named a U.S. Presidential Scholar in the Arts.
Fellow East senior Emma DeBord has been named a 2011 YoungArts merit award winner in visual arts.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- News & Notes: Jan. 29, 2015
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?
- Two businesses in same building burglarized
- Wauwatosa Montessori students practice mind-body awareness with help from Growing Minds program
- Exercising eminent domain, Wauwatosa seeks warehouse property for school drop-off site
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Therapist finds himself enriched by a life shaped by transitions
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Jan. 29
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Jan. 29
- Wauwatosa offers 'Citizen's Academy' course
- Wauwatosa schools consider largest investment yet in facilities; discuss replacing buildings