A Wauwatosa East student has made it into the art elite.
High school senior Katharine Geerster has been named a 2011 YoungArts finalist in theater by the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts.
In January, she will travel to Miami to participate in YoungArts Week to participate in arts enrichment activities with 150 of the nation's most talented 17- and 18-year-old artists spanning nine disciplines. Geerster made the cut from a pool of 7,000 applicants.
As part of this selection, she becomes a contender to be named a U.S. Presidential Scholar in the Arts.
Fellow East senior Emma DeBord has been named a 2011 YoungArts merit award winner in visual arts.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Brief: Eisenhower resale seeks sellers
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound? (1)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Feb. 4
- Wauwatosa News IQ: Feb. 4
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Feb. 8
- Video: Wauwatosa man makes 'miracle' recovery after dying for 8 minutes (3)
- Wauwatosa Public Forum: Council mistaken in not funding Center Street Park
- Wauwatosa officials could soon participate in meetings via computer
- Work at State Street Station in Wauwatosa has neighbors rattled (5)
- Wauwatosa students win dozens of awards from Alliance for Young Artists & Writers