A Wauwatosa East student has made it into the art elite.
High school senior Katharine Geerster has been named a 2011 YoungArts finalist in theater by the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts.
In January, she will travel to Miami to participate in YoungArts Week to participate in arts enrichment activities with 150 of the nation's most talented 17- and 18-year-old artists spanning nine disciplines. Geerster made the cut from a pool of 7,000 applicants.
As part of this selection, she becomes a contender to be named a U.S. Presidential Scholar in the Arts.
Fellow East senior Emma DeBord has been named a 2011 YoungArts merit award winner in visual arts.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Foreign officials take inspiration from Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Wauwatosa council considers resolution opposing UW cuts
- Mount Mary students spruce up Wauwatosa businesses
- Wauwatosa approves athletic field renovation with increased costs
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 12-18
- Wisconsin Lutheran College gains Wauwatosa approval for parking structure, promises to sell houses
- Slinger man charged for posting nude Snapchat photo of Wauwatosa student (2)
- Wauwatosa entreprenuer crowdfunding ice cube dog treats (8)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: April 23
- Wauwatosa fire chief addresses threat of oil tanker derailment (1)