A Wauwatosa East student has made it into the art elite.
High school senior Katharine Geerster has been named a 2011 YoungArts finalist in theater by the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts.
In January, she will travel to Miami to participate in YoungArts Week to participate in arts enrichment activities with 150 of the nation's most talented 17- and 18-year-old artists spanning nine disciplines. Geerster made the cut from a pool of 7,000 applicants.
As part of this selection, she becomes a contender to be named a U.S. Presidential Scholar in the Arts.
Fellow East senior Emma DeBord has been named a 2011 YoungArts merit award winner in visual arts.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: Sept. 3
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Sept. 3
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Sept. 3
- Hundreds of Tosa residents experienced short power outage Aug. 27
- Wauwatosa Village valet service tentatively halted on Sundays
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Wauwatosa School District filled a 'typical' 60 jobs this summer (2)
- Monarch advocates celebrate 10th year of releasing butterflies at County Grounds in Wauwatosa
- Disability advocates concerned about lack of housing in Wauwatosa
- Gay Ex-Wauwatosa police officer says she endured years of harassment, gets $77k settlement