A Wauwatosa East student has made it into the art elite.
High school senior Katharine Geerster has been named a 2011 YoungArts finalist in theater by the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts.
In January, she will travel to Miami to participate in YoungArts Week to participate in arts enrichment activities with 150 of the nation's most talented 17- and 18-year-old artists spanning nine disciplines. Geerster made the cut from a pool of 7,000 applicants.
As part of this selection, she becomes a contender to be named a U.S. Presidential Scholar in the Arts.
Fellow East senior Emma DeBord has been named a 2011 YoungArts merit award winner in visual arts.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting