St. Bernard and St. Pius X parishes will merge to create a new elementary school, Wauwatosa Catholic, anticipated to begin classes next fall.
Archbishop Jerome Listecki has approved the school's formation after a six-month planning initiative called Project Embrace, where parents and parish leaders worked together to chart the future of their educational services, said Dean Weyer, director of administrative services for the schools.
He points to the increasing cost of operating two schools that have a total enrollment of 190 students as a driving factor.
"Collaboration is not a new concept," he said. "Our schools have shared teachers in the past and, as of this year, the parishes have a combined athletic program. The congregations also share a director of religious education, in addition to the director of administrative services and (along with Christ King Parish) a high school ministry program."
Wauwatosa Catholic will operate out of St. Bernard, 7474 Harwood Ave., in the Village. The school will provide classes for students in preschool, 4- and 5-year-old kindergarten and grades 1 through 8. Total enrollment for the two existing schools is at 190 students.
St. Pius X facilities will be used for family activities such as the popular evening roller skating sessions and athletics.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (1)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Milwaukee man faces charges for sex with Wauwatosa teen, possession of child pornography
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: May 28
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Cafe Blue takes pleasure in providing simple pleasures
- Business Notes: May 28
- Tosa letters to the editor: May 28