A woman who escaped from a correctional center was arrested in Wauwatosa for shoplifting lingerie Monday morning.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The 46-year-old Milwaukee woman was recognized by employees at Kmart, 3201 N. Mayfair Road, as having been involved in a prior retail theft. So when she stuffed 26 bras, underwear and T-shirts up her coat sleeves, workers were on to her.
She initially gave a fake name and birth date - both of which turned out to be her daughter's - so officers wouldn't figure out she was wanted on a Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office warrant for escaping custody and a Milwaukee Women's Correction Center warrant for being an escaped prisoner.
A check of her criminal record showed 30 arrests for a variety of crimes.
The woman told police that a man drives her to stores and pays her in cash or drugs for items she steals.
She was arrested for retail theft, resisting arrest and habitual criminality. The district attorney is expected to take up the case.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa development for Mayfair Road comes back in modified form
- Wauwatosa's Hoppe Tree Service reuses diseased, dying trees in new Urban Wood Lab
- Wauwatosa Woman's Club tries again for parking expansion
- News and Notes
- Most Wauwatosa schools exceed state expectations on district report card
- 1,001 books before kindergarten is more than just a list
- Biz Buzz: Salon, bakery, and chiropractor opening soon
- Fire Chief pulls support from TosaFest fundraiser after firefighters run ad 'embarrassing' city
- In Our Schools: September 18
- EFW grants inspire enriching classroom curriculum