A woman who escaped from a correctional center was arrested in Wauwatosa for shoplifting lingerie Monday morning.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The 46-year-old Milwaukee woman was recognized by employees at Kmart, 3201 N. Mayfair Road, as having been involved in a prior retail theft. So when she stuffed 26 bras, underwear and T-shirts up her coat sleeves, workers were on to her.
She initially gave a fake name and birth date - both of which turned out to be her daughter's - so officers wouldn't figure out she was wanted on a Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office warrant for escaping custody and a Milwaukee Women's Correction Center warrant for being an escaped prisoner.
A check of her criminal record showed 30 arrests for a variety of crimes.
The woman told police that a man drives her to stores and pays her in cash or drugs for items she steals.
She was arrested for retail theft, resisting arrest and habitual criminality. The district attorney is expected to take up the case.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23