A woman who escaped from a correctional center was arrested in Wauwatosa for shoplifting lingerie Monday morning.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The 46-year-old Milwaukee woman was recognized by employees at Kmart, 3201 N. Mayfair Road, as having been involved in a prior retail theft. So when she stuffed 26 bras, underwear and T-shirts up her coat sleeves, workers were on to her.
She initially gave a fake name and birth date - both of which turned out to be her daughter's - so officers wouldn't figure out she was wanted on a Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office warrant for escaping custody and a Milwaukee Women's Correction Center warrant for being an escaped prisoner.
A check of her criminal record showed 30 arrests for a variety of crimes.
The woman told police that a man drives her to stores and pays her in cash or drugs for items she steals.
She was arrested for retail theft, resisting arrest and habitual criminality. The district attorney is expected to take up the case.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa reaches deal on Locust Street drop-off lot for students
- Consultant begins process to redesign Wauwatosa Village streetscape
- Wauwatosa farmers market opening for sixth season Saturday
- Milwaukee man charged for causing fatal rollover crash in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (3)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Milwaukee man faces charges for sex with Wauwatosa teen, possession of child pornography