A Milwaukee organization prepping for a fundraising gala that includes a visit from President George W. Bush today has had its name used by scam artists looking for quick cash.
Wauwatosa police arrested two people for aggressive panhandling last week who were pretending to represent Teen Challenge, a faith-based addiction recovery program. But there has been talk by people who have handed out cash that many more fake solicitors have been hitting up people in recent weeks.
Calls to officials from the real Teen Challenge International-Wisconsin were not immediately returned. A staff member said officials were busy setting up at the Frontier Airlines Center, but they were aware of the scams.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The first arrest happened outside The Home Depot at 7:45 p.m. Nov. 5. A 16-year-old Milwaukee boy had been asking shoppers for money inside and in the parking lots of businesses at 124th Street and Capitol Drive.
He had official-looking documents with the organization's logo on top and lines for signatures and donations. He had filled two sheets with donations between $1 and $10 each.
On Monday, a 25-year-old Milwaukee woman was found with those same documents and nearly $200 in her pants pockets. She said she made the money over a two-day period at Mayfair Mall.
Mall security had ejected her from Mayfair at least three times in the past month. This time, they wanted her arrested.
Both of the panhandlers said they worked for a man who gives them the papers and gives them a cut of the money they bring in.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa police report 200 percent increase in vehicle thefts (1)
- Changes coming to Wauwatosa Village: The Flower Lady finds new home
- Bryant & Stratton College offers new nursing program at Tosa campus
- KFC in Wauwatosa robbed Wednesday morning, suspect still unknown (1)
- Wauwatosa businesses step up to fund baseball fields at Center Street Park (1)
- Mystery Photo Contest: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Police Report Jan. 31 - Feb. 6
- In Brief: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Feb. 11