The Salvation Army of Milwaukee County hopes to raise $2.75 million this holiday season to pay for its annual Toy Shop and Christmas Family Feast programs, as well as year-round support of its emergency shelter, medical services, food pantries, meals to the homeless and care for military veterans.
Bell-ringing continues to serve as a major fundraiser. To volunteer a place of business as a bell-ringing site or to ring bells call (414) 302-4300 or visit SAmilwaukee.org.
This year's theme, Hope Wanted, draws attention to The Salvation Army's urgent need for financial support during the country's continuing economic crisis. The organization is seeing many families requesting assistance for the first time, and the total number of requests for help is up 30 percent over last year, according to a news release from the Wauwatosa-based chapter.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hundreds of Tosa residents experienced short power outage Aug. 27
- Wauwatosa Village valet service tentatively halted on Sundays
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Wauwatosa School District filled a 'typical' 60 jobs this summer (2)
- Monarch advocates celebrate 10th year of releasing butterflies at County Grounds in Wauwatosa
- Disability advocates concerned about lack of housing in Wauwatosa
- Gay Ex-Wauwatosa police officer says she endured years of harassment, gets $77k settlement
- Wauwatosa's Diva Day brings shopping deals and business boosts
- Wauwatosa things to do: August 27
- Suspected pipe bomb draws neighborhood attention in Wauwatosa