Two men who stole liquor from a Tosa grocery store were picked up after a drunken driving incident five days later, Wauwatosa police said.
According to the police report:
A 47-year-old Milwaukee man walked into Metcalfe's Market, 6700 W. State St., combing his long hair at 8 p.m. Oct. 23. He asked if the clerk had a problem with his actions and told her to "lighten up." Then he grabbed her and gave her a hug and kiss before heading to the liquor department.
Later, store employees became aware that a second man had taken vodka; they both left in the same minivan.
At 9 p.m. Oct. 28, police got a call about a suspicious vehicle. The same minivan that had been used in the theft had a flat tire and was parked at an angle, sticking out into traffic in the 7300 block of Milwaukee Avenue.
The passenger, the man with the long hair, was seen in the minivan filling a bag with 11 packs of meat that had been taken from three grocery stores. He was arrested for retail theft and felony bail-jumping, because he was out on bond from Wood County for a felony strangulation case. He said he couldn't possibly have taken the alcohol earlier in the week because he was home smoking crack and was so high he couldn't leave the house.
During booking at the police station, he kicked out a glass door. A vandalism arrest was added.
Meanwhile, the 48-year-old Wauwatosa man who had been driving was found walking in the next block. He had urinated on himself and was arrested for drunken driving and driving with a suspended license. He refused a Breathalyzer test.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Longfellow hosting Wauwatosa's Memorial Day ceremony Monday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: May 10-16 (1)
- Choice school, dry cleaning issues held for more discussion in Wauwatosa
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100? (2)
- Wauwatosa to take extra step vetting St. Camillus proposal for tallest building in city
- Yellow Wood will bring high-quality outdoors gear to Whitefish Bay
- Medical College plans expansion with demolition of building on Mayfair Road
- Wauwatosa approves conceptual design for pocket park on North Avenue (8)
- Wauwatosa School Board approves raises for teachers, administrators and staff
- Tosa Tonight releases lineup for summer concert series