Two men who stole liquor from a Tosa grocery store were picked up after a drunken driving incident five days later, Wauwatosa police said.
According to the police report:
A 47-year-old Milwaukee man walked into Metcalfe's Market, 6700 W. State St., combing his long hair at 8 p.m. Oct. 23. He asked if the clerk had a problem with his actions and told her to "lighten up." Then he grabbed her and gave her a hug and kiss before heading to the liquor department.
Later, store employees became aware that a second man had taken vodka; they both left in the same minivan.
At 9 p.m. Oct. 28, police got a call about a suspicious vehicle. The same minivan that had been used in the theft had a flat tire and was parked at an angle, sticking out into traffic in the 7300 block of Milwaukee Avenue.
The passenger, the man with the long hair, was seen in the minivan filling a bag with 11 packs of meat that had been taken from three grocery stores. He was arrested for retail theft and felony bail-jumping, because he was out on bond from Wood County for a felony strangulation case. He said he couldn't possibly have taken the alcohol earlier in the week because he was home smoking crack and was so high he couldn't leave the house.
During booking at the police station, he kicked out a glass door. A vandalism arrest was added.
Meanwhile, the 48-year-old Wauwatosa man who had been driving was found walking in the next block. He had urinated on himself and was arrested for drunken driving and driving with a suspended license. He refused a Breathalyzer test.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Large Wauwatosa oak tree cut down after storm damage
- Wauwatosa police will host OWI Task Force deployment
- Tosa author publishes children's book based on real life encounters with mouse
- Wauwatosa officers return to work after weeks of administrative leave following shooting death (2)
- Wauwatosa News IQ: Sept. 3
- Common council OKs addition of right turn lane at Burleigh Street onto Mayfair Road
- Tosa's Safe Routes to School unveils new safety features in high foot traffic areas
- Ask Now: Is there going to be a park and ride lot on Watertown Plank Road?
- Annual '10 Days in Tosa' promises dining steals, good eats
- In Brief: Sept. 3