A 35-year-old Milwaukee man tried to hang himself at the Wauwatosa Police Department after he was arrested for attempting to rob George Webb last week.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The man entered the restaurant, 7410 W. State St., with his hand in his pocket and a shirt covering his face at 6:30 a.m. Oct. 27. A waitress saw him arrive and locked herself and a co-worker in the back office.
A customer tried to run out of the restaurant, but he slipped and fell, wounding his hands, arms and leg. The robber demanded the customer's wallet and threatened to shoot him, but the customer refused.
The robber took off empty-handed but was stopped at 61st and Vliet streets. He said he had been living in a van that had been parked there.
Police got search warrants so they could take a mouth swab for DNA and look through the van.
While at the police station, the robber tried to hang himself, so he was taken to Milwaukee County Mental Health. He is expected to be charged by the district attorney in December.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa reaches deal on Locust Street drop-off lot for students
- Consultant begins process to redesign Wauwatosa Village streetscape
- Wauwatosa farmers market opening for sixth season Saturday
- Milwaukee man charged for causing fatal rollover crash in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (4)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Milwaukee man faces charges for sex with Wauwatosa teen, possession of child pornography