About 6,000 We Energies customers in southeastern Wisconsin were without power as of about 9 a.m. because of powerful storms and strong winds moving through the region, a company spokesman said.
About 1,300 customers were without power in Sturtevant, where a tornado may have touched down just before 8 a.m., We Energies spokesman Brian Manthey said. Several power lines were down in the area, he said.
About 1,700 customers near Somers in Kenosha County were also without power, Manthey said. The possible tornado that caused the damage near Sturtevant was reported to have passed near Somers while traveling north.
Meanwhile, We Energies crews have restored power to some customers in other areas. Only about 25 customers in Wauwatosa were still without power as of 9 a.m., down from about 1,200 customers around 7:40 a.m.
Scattered outages were also reported in Walworth and Jefferson counties.
Outages have been caused by downed power lines, lightning strikes and trees making contact with power lines and likely will become more widespread as the day goes along, Manthey said.
"It sounds like it's going to be continuous because of the heavy winds," he said. "This is most likely just the beginning if the wind predictions hold up."
People who lose power or see downed power lines should call We Energies at (800) 662-4797.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Not just a class, but an adventure
- Decision on Mayfair apartment proposal delayed by Wauwatosa plan panel
- Ask NOW: Why all the yellow flags on Wisconsin Avenue in Wauwatosa?
- News & Notes: Dec. 11
- Plumber dragged as he tries to stop tool thieves outside Wauwatosa Home Depot
- Man arrested for exposing himself to woman in Wauwatosa
- Police Report: Dec. 11
- Wauwatosa schedules North Avenue repaving project for summer
- Wauwatosa presents new teacher pay plan
- Wauwatosa School Board honors 11 staff employees for exemplary service