The city is going to be missing four employees with leadership experience and institutional knowledge.
Public Works Director William Kappel has announced he will retire at the end of November, followed by Fire Chief Dean Redman in January. The city has already lost Chief Building Official Dave Wheaton, who died of a heart attack in September. City Finance Director Ron Braier retired quickly and unexpectedly this month.
The city has retained a recruitment firm, Voorhees & Associates, to look for the next public works director and will likely do the same for the finance director. Administrators have recommended the recruiter to aid the Police and Fire Commission with its search for a chief. The firm was used when Wauwatosa was hiring its economic development director this spring.
As for Wheaton's position, his job and the building division will be reviewed to determine if some of the duties can be redistributed. Ultimately, someone will be hired but it likely won't be for the exact same position, City Administrator James Archambo said.
For more about the departures, see this week's Wauwatosa NOW.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wellness fair promotes healthy lifestyle among Wilson Elementary students
- In Our Schools: March 6
- Police Report: March 6
- Change aims for user-friendly government
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Common Council reconsiders smartphone stipend
- Audit exposes weaknesses in school district's special ed program
- City's private/public agency dies quietly
- City Administrator Archambo gets 3-year deal that will take him to $150,000