City leaders have suggested the police chief become the temporary leader of the Wauwatosa Fire Department come January.
A letter has been submitted to the city's Police and Fire Commission by the city administrator, mayor and chairman of the Common Council's Budget and Finance and Employee Relations committees. The message to the commission is that Police Chief Barry Weber already has experience overseeing emergency services and managing emergency situations so his role could be expanded for a few months while a permanent fire chief is found.
The city will not release information on how many people have applied for the interim chief position. The Fire Department has two assistant chiefs and four deputy chiefs working under Fire Chief Dean Redman.
Redman has announced he will retire Jan. 4.
The commission will meet Wednesday at 3 p.m. at the Police Department, 1700 N. 116th St. The fire chief recruitment process and consideration of interim candidates is on the agenda.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Suburban Woman's Club of Wauwatosa awards scholarships to teachers
- Seniors now eligible for free Milwaukee County bus passes
- MMSD bringing Schoonmaker creek above ground near river in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa News IQ: April 16
- Mara is new DBA director of public relations
- In Brief: April 16
- Choice school looks to occupy Wauwatosa building that housed Pius (9)
- Wauwatosa woman accused of falsely claiming ex-husband's death to receive benefits
- Wauwatosa In Our Schools: April 16
- Wauwatosa dry cleaner seeks permission to use former City Market building