City leaders have suggested the police chief become the temporary leader of the Wauwatosa Fire Department come January.
A letter has been submitted to the city's Police and Fire Commission by the city administrator, mayor and chairman of the Common Council's Budget and Finance and Employee Relations committees. The message to the commission is that Police Chief Barry Weber already has experience overseeing emergency services and managing emergency situations so his role could be expanded for a few months while a permanent fire chief is found.
The city will not release information on how many people have applied for the interim chief position. The Fire Department has two assistant chiefs and four deputy chiefs working under Fire Chief Dean Redman.
Redman has announced he will retire Jan. 4.
The commission will meet Wednesday at 3 p.m. at the Police Department, 1700 N. 116th St. The fire chief recruitment process and consideration of interim candidates is on the agenda.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Sept. 3
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Sept. 7
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: Sept. 3
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Sept. 3
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Sept. 3
- Hundreds of Tosa residents experienced short power outage Aug. 27
- Wauwatosa Village valet service tentatively halted on Sundays
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Wauwatosa School District filled a 'typical' 60 jobs this summer (5)
- Monarch advocates celebrate 10th year of releasing butterflies at County Grounds in Wauwatosa