City leaders have suggested the police chief become the temporary leader of the Wauwatosa Fire Department come January.
A letter has been submitted to the city's Police and Fire Commission by the city administrator, mayor and chairman of the Common Council's Budget and Finance and Employee Relations committees. The message to the commission is that Police Chief Barry Weber already has experience overseeing emergency services and managing emergency situations so his role could be expanded for a few months while a permanent fire chief is found.
The city will not release information on how many people have applied for the interim chief position. The Fire Department has two assistant chiefs and four deputy chiefs working under Fire Chief Dean Redman.
Redman has announced he will retire Jan. 4.
The commission will meet Wednesday at 3 p.m. at the Police Department, 1700 N. 116th St. The fire chief recruitment process and consideration of interim candidates is on the agenda.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Mayfair parking structure to open tonight
- The Malt Shoppe opens Friday in Wauwatosa
- Taste of the Town: Eddie Martini's remains a classic stop
- Wauwatosa businesses recognized for employing people with disabilities
- Neighbors continue combating Wauwatosa Woman's Club parking proposal (1)
- Wauwatosa's Center Street, lined with schools, could see sidewalks, bike lanes
- Wauwatosa negotiating financial aid for Underwood apartments
- Weekly Planner: Oct. 23
- Tosa East Players perform play-within-a-play in 'Curtains'
- What to expect as Wauwautosa YMCA changes hands