City leaders have suggested the police chief become the temporary leader of the Wauwatosa Fire Department come January.
A letter has been submitted to the city's Police and Fire Commission by the city administrator, mayor and chairman of the Common Council's Budget and Finance and Employee Relations committees. The message to the commission is that Police Chief Barry Weber already has experience overseeing emergency services and managing emergency situations so his role could be expanded for a few months while a permanent fire chief is found.
The city will not release information on how many people have applied for the interim chief position. The Fire Department has two assistant chiefs and four deputy chiefs working under Fire Chief Dean Redman.
Redman has announced he will retire Jan. 4.
The commission will meet Wednesday at 3 p.m. at the Police Department, 1700 N. 116th St. The fire chief recruitment process and consideration of interim candidates is on the agenda.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Motorcyclist dies after collision on North Avenue in East Tosa
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- Wauwatosa In Our Schools: Oct. 2
- Hue serving first dinner in Tosa tonight
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Ot. 2
- Business Spotlight: Salamander changed shape, until it took on women's clothing
- Wauwatosa Police Reports: Sept. 25
- Voter ID requirement complicates absentee voting in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa News & Notes: Sept. 25
- 'Science Cafes' come to Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus