City leaders have suggested the police chief become the temporary leader of the Wauwatosa Fire Department come January.
A letter has been submitted to the city's Police and Fire Commission by the city administrator, mayor and chairman of the Common Council's Budget and Finance and Employee Relations committees. The message to the commission is that Police Chief Barry Weber already has experience overseeing emergency services and managing emergency situations so his role could be expanded for a few months while a permanent fire chief is found.
The city will not release information on how many people have applied for the interim chief position. The Fire Department has two assistant chiefs and four deputy chiefs working under Fire Chief Dean Redman.
Redman has announced he will retire Jan. 4.
The commission will meet Wednesday at 3 p.m. at the Police Department, 1700 N. 116th St. The fire chief recruitment process and consideration of interim candidates is on the agenda.
- 360NOW: Wander Wawatosa's village
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes new female giraffe calf
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa seeks volunteers for focus groups on city communication
- Area businesses collaborate to create the 'Cranky Sammie' in East Tosa
- District leaders question use of Wauwatosa schools as voting locations (9)
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 2
- Moms get free admission to the zoo
- Pathways High alternative school pushes ahead despite adverse response from Wauwatosa schools
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 17-23