Seven students were cited for underage drinking during the homecoming dance at Wauwatosa East High School but there were likely a lot more teens that consumed alcohol and didn't get caught.
According to Wauwatosa police:
A chaperon said two students in the Learning Center smelled of alcohol at 5:44 p.m. Oct. 2. One girl was walking around barefoot and was unsteady on her feet. The boy she was with said he had been drinking at a party before heading over to the school.
Just as administrators were dealing with the first two students, two more students who were having trouble standing up were brought into the office.
One girl cried and got so worked up that she vomited. She was taken by ambulance to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.
Soon, school officials learned of additional kids that had held or attended drinking parties prior to the dance. After taking Breathalyzer tests, their blood-alcohol contents ranged from 0.02 to 0.10.
Each of the teens said they had been partying with other students, but most refused to name their friends.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (1)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting
- Thai-namite plans new location in Wauwatosa's former City Market building
- Business Notes: July 2