A 24-hour gym wants to open in a portion of the former Furniture Clearance Center at 89th Street and North Avenue.
Wauwatosa resident John Mathie wants to open what would be his fourth Anytime Fitness location in his hometown. He plans to take up a portion of the building that was vacated when Furniture Clearance Center went out of business this spring.
The business would be staffed from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. most days, but would remain open around the clock to members using keys. A few neighbors had contacted city officials with concerns about late-night operations, Community Development Director Nancy Welch said.
However, approving 24-hour per day operations for Snap Fitness at 72nd and North Avenue back in March did set a precedent.
The Plan Commission voted, 5-1, to allow the gym to remain open at all times. The Community Development Committee will take up the request Oct. 26.
The mayor did recommend Mathie work with police to ensure proper safety and security at the facility.
Mathie owns a regional franchise with fitness centers already operating on Milwaukee's east side, Germantown and Shorewood.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Senior Commission surveying seniors
- Four similar thefts reported at Wisconsin Lutheran College
- Police Report: Jan. 29
- Meijer to open Wauwatosa store in August
- Wauwatosa committee denies funding request to accelerate Innovation Campus hotel
- Wauwatosa committee recommends e-cigarette restrictions
- Wauwatosa to offer 70 open enrollment seats; no openings through Chapter 220 or special education
- Wauwatosa creating Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee to improve facilities
- Pilgrim Lutheran School celebrates more than its name change since accreditation
- Wauwatosa firefighters union battles run up city's legal bills (1)