One alderman likened a new hair salon and spa coming to Wauwatosa to a "nudie bar" that fictional 1980s television character Al Bundy, known for his less-than-classy ways, would have patronized.
Alderman Don Birschel said 17 city residents contacted him or his wife to say they didn't want to see Knockouts move into a shopping center on Mayfair Road. The business caters to men and, because its employees tend to be women in tight-fitting uniforms, has been compared to Hooters in its business approach.
Wauwatosa has many fine restaurants and shops, and this doesn't live up to the city's standard, Birschel said.
His fellow Common Council members disagreed. They allowed Knockouts to offer massage services on a 15-1 vote Tuesday.
Cheryl Berdan, Birschel's fellow representative in the 7th District, said she had received no communications about the business from constituents.
"It's a legal business, so I'm going to vote in support of this," she said.
Although online videos show male patrons drinking beer while they get their hair cut, that may not be happening in Wauwatosa.
They have not yet applied for a liquor license, and city and state rules may prohibit alcohol consumption in the area where salon services take place, City Attorney Alan Kesner said. Knockouts may create a separate room where patrons can be served.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Children's theater presents free performance of "The Frog Prince" tomorrow night
- Future Wauwatosa high school graduates face new science requirements
- Wauwatosa's Night Out celebrates 20th anniversary Aug. 5
- Wauwatosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- State Fair highlights Wauwatosa businesses, crafts
- Ask Now: Do police officers still give out baseball cards?
- Wauwatosa's Hawaiian specialty store crowdfunds commercial kitchen
- Wisconsin's only texting-while-driving simulator, demonstrated in Wauwatosa, sobers distracted drive
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 31
- Biz Buzz: July 31