In the last month an 85-year-old Wauwatosa woman has received numerous calls and letters from people trying to bilk her out of money, but she outsmarted them all.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
In August, the woman was sent a check for $1,962 and told it was a prize. She suspected it wasn't real, and her bank confirmed that.
Three weeks ago, she got a call from someone claiming to represent Publisher's Clearinghouse who said she had won $260,000. Because the money was supposedly coming from Canada, she needed to wire $1,900 to convert the funds to U.S. currency. The caller even told her where she should go in Wauwatosa to wire the money, and said a women with a package would be waiting for her when she finished. The woman checked her facts by calling the real Publisher's Clearinghouse and found out it was a scam.
Soon afterward, she received a letter from a company in Quebec that said she was a beneficiary of an $80,000 unclaimed settlement - all she had to do was call a number and provide information.
But on Sept. 30, she decided she had had enough. She got a call from a different supposed insurance company upping the stakes. The caller said she would get $300,000 cash and $190,000 by check as a settlement. She should wait for further communication. A man called a while later and said she should send $500 to insure the package. She told the man she didn't drive, so he suggested she call a cab and he would reimburse her.
When he called back to check her progress on getting him the money, he reached a police officer. The man was undeterred. He said the officer didn't scare him, and he hung up.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting