A Wauwatosa man thought he met the woman of his dreams, but after loaning her nearly $37,000, he realized she loved his money.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The man was gambling this summer at Potawatomi Casino when he struck up a conversation with the woman sitting next to him.
Before she left, they exchanged phone numbers and a few days later they agreed to meet up. She said she had been in a car accident and needed $2,000 but she would pay him back as soon as the insurance payment came in.
They continued to date and she continued to ask for loans for everything from traffic fines to hair appointments, purchasing a cell phone to taking a trip.
He gave her $36,822 between July 19 and Sept. 27. Then he started checking out and finding her story didn't add up.
He had never been to her house; they always met for dates. When he went looking for her home, he couldn't find it and the post office said no such address existed. He also checked the license plates of the various cars she had driven and they were listed to other people.
He finally realized he was likely scammed and was not going to get paid back any of the money, so he contacted police at 4:22 p.m. Sept. 28.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa hosts wedding expo for same-sex couples
- Wauwatosa's Underwood Elementary students donate candy to troops overseas
- Business Spotlight: Wauwatosa yoga and massage center aims to bring body and mind into focus
- In Wauwatosa, aging tailor joins forces with fashion-designing granddaughter
- WSTEM's outdoor classroom continues learning beyond classroom
- In Brief: Tosa Yoga hosts craft fair and Blood Center gains alliance
- Wauwatosa passes levy increase with four aldermen dissenting
- Wauwatosa man's dream 'Ability Center' could have $15 million annual impact, study finds
- Mystery Photo Contest: Nov. 20
- Duct tape fashion show raises money for Longfellow DI program in Wauwatosa