An Elm Grove man who police say was making a sandwich while he was behind the wheel was arrested for driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol in Wauwatosa last week.
According to Wauwatosa police:
Dispatchers received a call reporting a reckless driver in the 2300 block of North Mayfair Road at 9:34 p.m. Sept. 12. He nearly struck a car, was swerving between lanes and failed to use his turn signal.
When an officer pulled behind the 24-year-old man's vehicle he noticed the driver was leaning over the passenger seat. During the traffic stop he noticed the driver was eating a sandwich and had a loaf of bread and packages of salami and cheese on the passenger seat.
He said he had gotten into a fight with his mother and was just driving around.
He went on to say he was a recovering marijuana and oxycodone addict who recently relapsed, but he denied using drugs that day. He did have a bottle of vodka on the car floor and said he'd had six to 10 vodka drinks that morning.
His blood-alcohol content was 0.05, less than the legal limit for drunken driving. A blood sample was sent to the state crime lab to look for evidence of drugs and to verify the alcohol content.
- Name revealed of new female giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- State Street road work may be the biggest headache this year in Wauwatosa (1)
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa law enforcement honors fallen officers during national bike tour (1)
- Wauwatosa alderman calls 1979 parking ordinance 'nitpicky,' looks for change (8)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: May 26
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 26
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Tosa school libraries gear up for fall introduction of 'makerspaces'
- Tosa West's We the People team reflects on nationals, yearly successes