An Elm Grove man who police say was making a sandwich while he was behind the wheel was arrested for driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol in Wauwatosa last week.
According to Wauwatosa police:
Dispatchers received a call reporting a reckless driver in the 2300 block of North Mayfair Road at 9:34 p.m. Sept. 12. He nearly struck a car, was swerving between lanes and failed to use his turn signal.
When an officer pulled behind the 24-year-old man's vehicle he noticed the driver was leaning over the passenger seat. During the traffic stop he noticed the driver was eating a sandwich and had a loaf of bread and packages of salami and cheese on the passenger seat.
He said he had gotten into a fight with his mother and was just driving around.
He went on to say he was a recovering marijuana and oxycodone addict who recently relapsed, but he denied using drugs that day. He did have a bottle of vodka on the car floor and said he'd had six to 10 vodka drinks that morning.
His blood-alcohol content was 0.05, less than the legal limit for drunken driving. A blood sample was sent to the state crime lab to look for evidence of drugs and to verify the alcohol content.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa resident Phil Dimeo hid his failing eyesight, and spells it out in a book (1)
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Daly's is helping to bring the fountain pen back
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: April 23
- U-Haul moving into former Harley-Davidson plant in Wauwatosa
- Teen apparel store Garage coming to Mayfair
- Wauwatosa Public Forum
- Suburban Woman's Club of Wauwatosa awards scholarships to teachers
- Seniors now eligible for free Milwaukee County bus passes
- MMSD bringing Schoonmaker creek above ground near river in Wauwatosa