An Elm Grove man who police say was making a sandwich while he was behind the wheel was arrested for driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol in Wauwatosa last week.
According to Wauwatosa police:
Dispatchers received a call reporting a reckless driver in the 2300 block of North Mayfair Road at 9:34 p.m. Sept. 12. He nearly struck a car, was swerving between lanes and failed to use his turn signal.
When an officer pulled behind the 24-year-old man's vehicle he noticed the driver was leaning over the passenger seat. During the traffic stop he noticed the driver was eating a sandwich and had a loaf of bread and packages of salami and cheese on the passenger seat.
He said he had gotten into a fight with his mother and was just driving around.
He went on to say he was a recovering marijuana and oxycodone addict who recently relapsed, but he denied using drugs that day. He did have a bottle of vodka on the car floor and said he'd had six to 10 vodka drinks that morning.
His blood-alcohol content was 0.05, less than the legal limit for drunken driving. A blood sample was sent to the state crime lab to look for evidence of drugs and to verify the alcohol content.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Authorities release name of 14-year-old drowning victim in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Biz Buzz: July 24, 2014
- Business Notes: July 24, 2014
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa police link car thefts to those in Milwaukee County
- Hart Park Senior Center looks for new operator
- Former Wauwatosa priest appears in court after several missed appearances
- News and Notes: July 24, 2014 issue
- In brief: July 24, 2014
- Numbers peak for Wauwatosa summer school enrollment, programs