An Elm Grove man who police say was making a sandwich while he was behind the wheel was arrested for driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol in Wauwatosa last week.
According to Wauwatosa police:
Dispatchers received a call reporting a reckless driver in the 2300 block of North Mayfair Road at 9:34 p.m. Sept. 12. He nearly struck a car, was swerving between lanes and failed to use his turn signal.
When an officer pulled behind the 24-year-old man's vehicle he noticed the driver was leaning over the passenger seat. During the traffic stop he noticed the driver was eating a sandwich and had a loaf of bread and packages of salami and cheese on the passenger seat.
He said he had gotten into a fight with his mother and was just driving around.
He went on to say he was a recovering marijuana and oxycodone addict who recently relapsed, but he denied using drugs that day. He did have a bottle of vodka on the car floor and said he'd had six to 10 vodka drinks that morning.
His blood-alcohol content was 0.05, less than the legal limit for drunken driving. A blood sample was sent to the state crime lab to look for evidence of drugs and to verify the alcohol content.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Not just a class, but an adventure
- Decision on Mayfair apartment proposal delayed by Wauwatosa plan panel
- Ask NOW: Why all the yellow flags on Wisconsin Avenue in Wauwatosa?
- News & Notes: Dec. 11
- Plumber dragged as he tries to stop tool thieves outside Wauwatosa Home Depot
- Man arrested for exposing himself to woman in Wauwatosa
- Police Report: Dec. 11
- Wauwatosa schedules North Avenue repaving project for summer
- Wauwatosa presents new teacher pay plan
- Wauwatosa School Board honors 11 staff employees for exemplary service