A 38-year-old man was arrested for drunken driving after his car spun 180 degrees on the Harmonee Bridge during Tosafest on Friday night.
According to Wauwatosa police:
Another driver saw a beer can thrown from the car before it lost control on the bridge. The car then made its way to Robertson's Hardware, 1417 Underwood Ave., where it parked briefly at 6:58 p.m. People walking to the festival noticed the vehicle was covered in mud with branches stuck under it.
Witnesses said the driver seemed confused because roads were closed off because of the festival in the Village. He struck a car while trying to leave the lot. Eventually, he made his way to 67th and State streets, where an officer spotted his vehicle driving through a red light.
The driver refused to submit to a Breathalyzer test, but told officers that he had purchased beer at a liquor store and drove around the County Grounds for a while.
At the police station, he was told to remove his hat. He had a cut above his eye that was bleeding, so the Fire Department responded.
As he was being checked out, he clutched his chest and made noises like he was in pain, then he fell to the floor and said he needed help. He refused to be taken to a hospital and his vital signs were normal. When officers said they would keep him in a cell for 12 hours to keep an eye on his health, he quickly recovered.
He blamed his quick illness on "explosive" personality disorder.
A quick background check showed the man was on probation, so his parole officer was contacted.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Four-story apartment building proposed for Hall Automotive site
- Little Read Book in Wauwatosa has author signing Sunday
- Wauwatosa police say train death was accidental
- Wauwatosa School District to tighten security with added cameras, changed school entrances
- Wauwatosa Senior Center plans November events
- Biz Buz:: New brew at Ray's
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa School Board approves 1.43 percent levy reduction
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Oct. 30
- Wauwatosa committee rejects Woman's Club parking proposal