Two men from Milwaukee were caught allegedly breaking into cars at Mayfair Mall in an effort to find items that could help pay off a drug debt.
According to Wauwatosa police:
A security guard spotted D'undra Rayford, 22, and David Hughes, 18, park next to a vehicle in the parking lot, break a window and take a medical bag at 3:54 p.m. Sept. 3. The car sped off and crashed into two other vehicles at Mayfair Road and Center Street. At that point, the men got our and ran.
The car had been stolen in Milwaukee. The ignition was missing and tools for hot wiring were found on the floor. The car was smoking and leaking engine fluid.
They were found hiding in some bushes and arrested.
Hughes was charged Wednesday with felony vehicle theft and misdemeanor vandalism. Rayford received municipal citations for resisting arrest and receiving stolen property.
Hughes said his problems started when he stole 12 jars, or 1,200 pills, of ecstasy in August from a friend who deals drugs. Soon afterward, his friend told him he owed his $25,000 and sent "enforcers" to rough up him and his friend.
He returned half the drugs and offered to pay back the remaining debt in items because he was broke. He has spent the past several weeks breaking into vehicles and taking items.
On Sept. 3, he saw a vehicle with a full tank of gas left running in his neighborhood. He took it and drove to Mayfair Mall intending to break into "expensive looking vehicles."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Notes: July 31
- Hawaiian grocery crowd-funds commercial kitchen
- Wauwatosa School District creates new mobile app
- Tosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- Authorities release name of 14-year-old drowning victim in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Biz Buzz: July 24, 2014
- Business Notes: July 24, 2014
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa police link car thefts to those in Milwaukee County
- Hart Park Senior Center looks for new operator