Two men from Milwaukee were caught allegedly breaking into cars at Mayfair Mall in an effort to find items that could help pay off a drug debt.
According to Wauwatosa police:
A security guard spotted D'undra Rayford, 22, and David Hughes, 18, park next to a vehicle in the parking lot, break a window and take a medical bag at 3:54 p.m. Sept. 3. The car sped off and crashed into two other vehicles at Mayfair Road and Center Street. At that point, the men got our and ran.
The car had been stolen in Milwaukee. The ignition was missing and tools for hot wiring were found on the floor. The car was smoking and leaking engine fluid.
They were found hiding in some bushes and arrested.
Hughes was charged Wednesday with felony vehicle theft and misdemeanor vandalism. Rayford received municipal citations for resisting arrest and receiving stolen property.
Hughes said his problems started when he stole 12 jars, or 1,200 pills, of ecstasy in August from a friend who deals drugs. Soon afterward, his friend told him he owed his $25,000 and sent "enforcers" to rough up him and his friend.
He returned half the drugs and offered to pay back the remaining debt in items because he was broke. He has spent the past several weeks breaking into vehicles and taking items.
On Sept. 3, he saw a vehicle with a full tank of gas left running in his neighborhood. He took it and drove to Mayfair Mall intending to break into "expensive looking vehicles."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Police Report: May 17-23 (1)
- Monarch-friendly plants for sale in Wauwatosa Sunday
- Wauwatosa reaches deal on Locust Street drop-off lot for students
- Consultant begins process to redesign Wauwatosa Village streetscape (2)
- Wauwatosa farmers market opening for sixth season Saturday
- Milwaukee man charged for causing fatal rollover crash in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (6)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28