Two men from Milwaukee were caught allegedly breaking into cars at Mayfair Mall in an effort to find items that could help pay off a drug debt.
According to Wauwatosa police:
A security guard spotted D'undra Rayford, 22, and David Hughes, 18, park next to a vehicle in the parking lot, break a window and take a medical bag at 3:54 p.m. Sept. 3. The car sped off and crashed into two other vehicles at Mayfair Road and Center Street. At that point, the men got our and ran.
The car had been stolen in Milwaukee. The ignition was missing and tools for hot wiring were found on the floor. The car was smoking and leaking engine fluid.
They were found hiding in some bushes and arrested.
Hughes was charged Wednesday with felony vehicle theft and misdemeanor vandalism. Rayford received municipal citations for resisting arrest and receiving stolen property.
Hughes said his problems started when he stole 12 jars, or 1,200 pills, of ecstasy in August from a friend who deals drugs. Soon afterward, his friend told him he owed his $25,000 and sent "enforcers" to rough up him and his friend.
He returned half the drugs and offered to pay back the remaining debt in items because he was broke. He has spent the past several weeks breaking into vehicles and taking items.
On Sept. 3, he saw a vehicle with a full tank of gas left running in his neighborhood. He took it and drove to Mayfair Mall intending to break into "expensive looking vehicles."
- Wauwatosa's 22nd Secret Garden Tour scheduled for July 9
- Tosa police investigating armed robbery at North Shore Bank Wednesday
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Perspective Design specializes in being a generalist
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 19 - 25
- Wauwatosa In Brief: Get set for Dozer Day in the Village, July 9
- Wauwatosa Meetings: June 30
- Wauwatosa Village businesses remain upbeat amid ongoing reconstruction
- East Tosa Gran Prix draws racers from across the continent
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: June 30
- Mystery Photo Contest: June 30