Mike Brinen, a physical education teacher at Madison Elementary in Wauwatosa, has been named Wisconsin Elementary Teachers of the Year for 2010-11.
Brinen was honored during a surprise ceremony at the school today. As part of the honor, he will receive $3,000 from the Herb Kohl Educational Foundation, and Brinen and the three other state winners will be honored during state Superintendent Tony Evers' State of Education address Sept. 16 in Madison.
Brinen, who has been at Madison Elementary for 14 years, wasn't even at school today - he had a doctor's appointment - but came in for the special assembly this afternoon.
"I'm just extremely honored and flattered and surprised," he said. "I come here every day, and I do what I do. I don't think I necessarily do anything special. I think I have a passion for working with kids, and I love kids, and I think that's the bottom line."
Madison Principal Lori Lester she was "speechless" when she found out a few weeks ago that Brinen won the award.
"Not that I was surprised, but you have such a great sense of pride when someone from your school is chosen for such an unbelievable honor," she said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Face time is the best time for photographer Stephanie Bartz
- Business Notes: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa unveils convenient, affordable water online water bill payment options
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa girl scouts help feed the hungry this Thanksgiving
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park? (2)
- In Brief: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa library announces campaign to give students study space
- In our schools
- Wauwatosa school board hears proposals for new course offerings