Mike Brinen, a physical education teacher at Madison Elementary in Wauwatosa, has been named Wisconsin Elementary Teachers of the Year for 2010-11.
Brinen was honored during a surprise ceremony at the school today. As part of the honor, he will receive $3,000 from the Herb Kohl Educational Foundation, and Brinen and the three other state winners will be honored during state Superintendent Tony Evers' State of Education address Sept. 16 in Madison.
Brinen, who has been at Madison Elementary for 14 years, wasn't even at school today - he had a doctor's appointment - but came in for the special assembly this afternoon.
"I'm just extremely honored and flattered and surprised," he said. "I come here every day, and I do what I do. I don't think I necessarily do anything special. I think I have a passion for working with kids, and I love kids, and I think that's the bottom line."
Madison Principal Lori Lester she was "speechless" when she found out a few weeks ago that Brinen won the award.
"Not that I was surprised, but you have such a great sense of pride when someone from your school is chosen for such an unbelievable honor," she said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mystery Photo Contest: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Police Report Jan. 31 - Feb. 6
- In Brief: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Feb. 11
- Business Notes: Feb. 11
- Fat Tuesday: How Wauwatosa celebrated
- Wauwatosa George Webb employee tricked into giving away $1,000
- Tosa officers return to work following police-involved shooting
- Business Spotlight: Jenny Kyle Smith hits the sweet spot after years of struggle