Wauwatosa's chief buildings official died Tuesday of a massive heart attack.
David Wheaton was 55 and had worked for the city for 30 years.
City officials were shocked to learn of his death this morning, as he had just attended the Common Council meeting last night and appeared healthy.
"It's so surprising; no, surprising doesn't even begin to describe it," City Administrator James Archambo said. "Dave was such a dedicated and reliable employee, someone you always expected to be around."
As chief building official, Wheaton led the city's Building and Safety Division, which handles building inspections, property maintenance complaints, construction permits, damage assessment and recovery, and facilities management for the municipal buildings in Wauwatosa.
Funeral information is not yet available.
City officials want Wheaton's family to know "our prayers and condolences are with them," Mayor Jill Didier said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Jan Kelly's Meritage is Milwaukee born
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 9
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: July 9
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 28-July 4
- Wauwatosa Meetings: July 9
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of July 13
- Meijer announces opening date in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa to participate in "Click It or Ticket" enforcement
- Tosa East student completes leadership program at Yale University