Wauwatosa's chief buildings official died Tuesday of a massive heart attack.
David Wheaton was 55 and had worked for the city for 30 years.
City officials were shocked to learn of his death this morning, as he had just attended the Common Council meeting last night and appeared healthy.
"It's so surprising; no, surprising doesn't even begin to describe it," City Administrator James Archambo said. "Dave was such a dedicated and reliable employee, someone you always expected to be around."
As chief building official, Wheaton led the city's Building and Safety Division, which handles building inspections, property maintenance complaints, construction permits, damage assessment and recovery, and facilities management for the municipal buildings in Wauwatosa.
Funeral information is not yet available.
City officials want Wheaton's family to know "our prayers and condolences are with them," Mayor Jill Didier said.
- Shoulder mount of beloved deer 'Bow Tie' to return to Milwaukee Co. Parks
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Mount Mary University students gear up for CREO fashion show in Tosa
- Art majors find their footing at Mount Mary
- Mystery Photo Contest: May 5
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 9
- Wauwatosa Village streetscape work slotted to begin May 9 (2)
- Wauwatosa In Brief: May 5
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 24-30