A man walking out of Mayfair Mall had his nose broken in two spots after what appears to have been an unprovoked beating last week.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The 23-year-old white victim was leaving the mall at 12:28 p.m. Aug. 19 when he was punched in the face and knocked to the ground. After a few seconds, he regained consciousness and saw a black man standing over him and yelling racial comments.
The suspect and his brother ran to a vehicle and drove away. Meanwhile, witnesses called police.
When officers arrived, the victim was bleeding profusely from his nose, and his eyes were bruised and swollen shut. He said he had never met the man who hit him and the two had not exchanged any words prior to the attack.
The victim was taken to Froedtert Hospital, where he learned his nose had been broken in two places.
The suspect's brother, a 23-year-old Milwaukee man, returned to the mall parking lot. He told police he had dropped his brother off in Milwaukee. His was arrested on a warrant for driving with a suspended license.
The next day, Aug. 20, officers arrested the 20-year-old suspect at his home for substantial battery by physical force.
He is sitting in Milwaukee County Jail while the district attorney looks into the case.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fattoni's on North Avenue shuts down
- Matt Stippich will bring leadership skills, passion to council post
- Wellness fair promotes healthy lifestyle among Wilson Elementary students
- In Our Schools: March 6
- Police Report: March 6
- Change aims for user-friendly government
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Common Council reconsiders smartphone stipend
- Audit exposes weaknesses in school district's special ed program