A man walking out of Mayfair Mall had his nose broken in two spots after what appears to have been an unprovoked beating last week.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The 23-year-old white victim was leaving the mall at 12:28 p.m. Aug. 19 when he was punched in the face and knocked to the ground. After a few seconds, he regained consciousness and saw a black man standing over him and yelling racial comments.
The suspect and his brother ran to a vehicle and drove away. Meanwhile, witnesses called police.
When officers arrived, the victim was bleeding profusely from his nose, and his eyes were bruised and swollen shut. He said he had never met the man who hit him and the two had not exchanged any words prior to the attack.
The victim was taken to Froedtert Hospital, where he learned his nose had been broken in two places.
The suspect's brother, a 23-year-old Milwaukee man, returned to the mall parking lot. He told police he had dropped his brother off in Milwaukee. His was arrested on a warrant for driving with a suspended license.
The next day, Aug. 20, officers arrested the 20-year-old suspect at his home for substantial battery by physical force.
He is sitting in Milwaukee County Jail while the district attorney looks into the case.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa high schoolers will each receive personal Chromebook next year, according to plan
- Menomonee River Parkway temporarily closed for excavation
- Carhartt coming to Wauwatosa's Mayfair Collection
- Wauwatosa News IQ: March 5
- Chinese Lunar New Year celebration at Mayfair Sunday
- Police to warn against impaired driving on St. Patrick's Day
- Fundraiser covers funeral expenses for victim of Wauwatosa house fire
- News & Notes: March 5, 2015
- Wauwatosa Common Council approves rezoning for Wisconsin Lutheran College parking structure
- In Our Schools: March 5